Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
damtux
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: damtux

Source Deduplication

Post by damtux »

Hi,

First , congrats for Veeam Endpoint, as all other veeam product it is very simple, efficient and user friendly ! I love it

I'm only disapointed about deduplication model, it would be great to have a feature like source deduplication to have less network bandwidth used as every desktops as many similar datas.
I agree about enabling deduplication on some windows 2012 target but first I'm not sure the rate would be like from source deduplication and again bandwidth consuming..

Also I'm not sure i've seen some option to connect to remote SQL , of course that would be great

Also , it would be nice to be abble to point to specific files instead of folders and also to have multiple backup job feature on same desktop (because some time we don't need same retention for files backup)

And also when we specified shared folder it would be nice to go through all sub folders, for my side I have only the root share folder

And for my personal opinion i think it would be great to have a non-free and supported version of the tool with some nice features as central management, source dedup, level compression ...

Again that is great work , thanks a lot
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Source Deduplication

Post by Dima P. »

Hello damtux,
I am happy to hear that your have positive experience with the Endpoint Backup. Thank you for the kind words!
I'm only disapointed about deduplication model, it would be great to have a feature like source deduplication to have less network bandwidth used as every desktops as many similar datas.
The compression and deduplication are built-in, but there is no dedupe across multiple endpoint backups that is correct.
Also I'm not sure i've seen some option to connect to remote SQL , of course that would be great
This once was already discussed. It makes sense only in case of central management console, otherwise each endpoint would have its own db and will eat lots of resources.
Also , it would be nice to be abble to point to specific files instead of folders and also to have multiple backup job feature on same desktop (because some time we don't need same retention for files backup)
Noted, thank you! Honestly you are the first who asked the exact file selection in the wizard.
And also when we specified shared folder it would be nice to go through all sub folders, for my side I have only the root share folder
Check if you have a permissions for drilling down the share

Thanks again.
danoarx
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adnan Riaz

Feature Request - Deduplication

Post by danoarx » 1 person likes this post

Deduplication would be nice to have to save space on the backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Adnan,
Dedupe is enabled by default, or you are referring to global deduplication across multiple Endpoint backups?
danoarx
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adnan Riaz

Post by danoarx »

oh I didn't know. Would be nice to stats, like dedupe ratio etc.
ninjaburn81
Expert
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Adam Vogini

Post by ninjaburn81 » 1 person likes this post

If global dedup of all backup files are the desired result, traditionally you would look toward a backup appliance (say Data Domain) to handle that. I have done several tests on the B&R side with this, and typically your best compression/dedup comes from setting B&R to best practices for dedup device to handle the file side, and let the backup appliance handle it from there.
backupvirtual
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: PH

Post by backupvirtual »

Hi,

concerning the deduplication, does it happen on the source-side (endpoint) or target-side (backup repository)?

thanks for that tool, very easy to set up and use!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi backupvirtual,

It's a source side deduplication and you are welcome :)