Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Seva
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vsevolod Semouchin

Passing LUNs from veeam backup appliance to the media server

Post by Seva »

Hi, I'm just wondering, whether someone implemented solution which allows to pass disks from the virtual appliance to backup media server.

Background information:
Since it is not supported to connect VM to FC Tape drives (in fact this smetimes works sometimes not. I tested both serve attached and NPIV solutions without any stable result) we can use the virtual appliance mode only to create the first level backup - on disk storage.
To archive created backup files to the tape we will need additional backup software and physical server (aka backup media server) which is connected to the tape (directly or over FC).
My idea is to pass complete LUNs with backup files from appliance to the media server. Which could be done, for example, if we would cluster VM to physical server and failover disks.
Or, of course we could script such solution telling array to change SSP and make LUN visible to media server.
My question is whether someone has already implemented such solution?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Passing LUNs from veeam backup appliance to the media server

Post by Gostev »

You could connect the same SAN LUN (NTFS formatted) to both your backup and media server. Backup server would backup to it, media server would read to it. Or am I missing something?
diego.elias.santos
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Diego Santos

Re: Passing LUNs from veeam backup appliance to the media se

Post by diego.elias.santos »

Hello,

I think i have the same issue. I'm using Virtual Appliance and my destination is a raw device ntfs formmated. I want to use the same lun in one physical server for backup to tape, but i'm reading about ntfs doesn't support to be presented to multiple servers.

What do you recommend?

Thank you
Diego
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Re: Passing LUNs from veeam backup appliance to the media se

Post by Gostev »

Why not?