Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
conradblack
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Restore question - 2 VHD's attached to guest

Post by conradblack »

Hello,

We're in the process of building a new guest on a new Server 2012 Hypervisor. The plan is as follows:

Configure 3 RAID array's -> 1 array for the Hypervisor OS, 1 array for the Guest OS VHD/VM Files, and 1 array for a second VHD the guest will use for application files

Now, my question pertains to how the backup and restore of this with Veeam will happen. When we backup this guest, I know that both VHD's will be backed up.

However, when we restore it,things become a little unclear. What happens if I choose to restore it to a hypervisor that has a completely different disk setup? What if there's only one disk with the VHD's/VM files on the same disk as the hypervisor OS? What if there are 2 disks, one for the hypervisor OS, one for the VHD's?

Will Veeam let me choose where to restore each VHD to? Does it automatically choose where to restore them to?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Restore question - 2 VHD's attached to guest

Post by PTide »

Hi,

When performing a restore you are offered to choose the datastore where you wish your VM's files to be restored to. Please refer to helpcenter article.

Thank you.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Restore question - 2 VHD's attached to guest

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Here is a bit more precise guidelines for VM restore operation > Select Destination Datastore