Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

Backup is full

Post by jamerson »

Hi guys,
i've create a job to backup the infrastructuur and keep 5 points of restore.
however after every 1 months it said disk is full,
is it possible to avoid this and overwrite old backups, and make veeam always backup and keep always the 5 points ?

also creating a backup job to external storage every Sunday which i want to have every first Sunday a full backup , and without having the issue with the disk is full.

thank you for your help.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup is full

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Julien,
What is you current retention policy? And what backup method do you use (forward, reverse)? What about full backups?
Basically you can choose either reverse incremental or forever forward one and set retention points # = 5 to have exact number of backups in the chain.

Overwriting is not helpful, because it would have to delete parts of backup chain.
jamerson wrote:also creating a backup job to external storage every Sunday which i want to have every first Sunday a full backup , and without having the issue with the disk is full.
Have you considered backup copy job? If you want only full backups offsite, you can use GFS retention policy.
Thanks!
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Thank you so much,
i've been using backup copy somehow every month have to empty the disk because its full.
is this a normal behavior ?

can you explain more about the GFS mention Policy ? is it safe to use it and have a off site backup ?
ArdenTher
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by ArdenTher »

Windows 7 doesn’t do a good job here. For instance, you can’t automate purges. But you can manually delete backups.

In Control Panel’s Backup and Restore app, with your backup drive plugged in, click the Manage space link. Then click the View backups button.

This will bring up a list of all your existing backup sets. A set contains one full backup and multiple incremental backups, each containing the files that were created or changed since the last backup. You can select and delete a complete set, but that’s about it.
Liebe ist gemeinsame Freude an der wechselseitigen Unvollkommenheit.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

@ArdenTher

Hi, are positive you're not confusing Veeam Backup and Replication with Windows native backup tools, like Windows 7 Backup and Restore?

This topic talks about VB&R. And so do these community forums.

Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

ArdenTher wrote:Windows 7 doesn’t do a good job here. For instance, you can’t automate purges. But you can manually delete backups.
thank you for your answer.
i don't recall me using the word " Windows 7 "
i am using Backup and replication in a Virtualization infrastructure.
i need to know how to avoid the full disk idea.
want it to do this automatically.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

jamerson wrote:i've been using backup copy somehow every month have to empty the disk because its full.
is this a normal behavior ?
It is not, generally. Depends on the job settings and available disk size (remember that you need to adjust retention accordingly).
jamerson wrote:can you explain more about the GFS mention Policy ? is it safe to use it and have a off site backup ?
GFS mechanism is pretty well described in the corresponding user guide section. If you need any further clarification after reviewing it, feel free to ask here.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

Thank you,
what do you mean with adjust retention accordingly ?
can you explain more ?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'm talking about setting the number of restore points to keep that will fit into the space available on repository.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

foggy wrote:I'm talking about setting the number of restore points to keep that will fit into the space available on repository.
Thank you man,
probably this the issue, the size ( 3TB ) is not enought for multiple restore points .
much appreciate the explination
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Right, you need to size your environment in accordance with the required RPO.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

foggy wrote:Right, you need to size your environment in accordance with the required RPO.
i think its clear to me now why its was full,
in my backup setting its chosing " incremental " means always the last backup is a full ?
reverse increamental it said is slow, slow in the backup or restore ?

thank you for the explination .
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

in my backup setting its chosing " incremental " means always the last backup is a full ?
Correct. That's called Forever-forward incremental. If you choose to create synthetic full backups and/or active full backups periodically then you'll have what is called forward incremental backup model.
reverse increamental it said is slow, slow in the backup or restore ?
It is always slower during backup while restore speed depends on which RP you choose (the "deeper" you go back the longer it takes). Pleas see this ultimate explanation and feel free to ask question in this thread if any persist.

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

jamerson wrote:in my backup setting its chosing " incremental " means always the last backup is a full ?
If you simply choose "Incremental" with no full backups, as Pavel mentioned you will have a forever-forward incremental. If you meab by "The last" backup, the most recent one, you will always have an incremental backup, while the oldest one will always be Full.
In a case of Reverse incremental method, the last(newest) backup is always Full, while all other are incrementals. It`s the slowest to backup, but the fastest to restore from the most recent restore point.
Check the hyperlinks to see the detailed explanation.
Thanks!
danielch
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by danielch »

foggy wrote:I'm talking about setting the number of restore points to keep that will fit into the space available on repository.
One thing I'm still not 100% clear on is how the retention policy works with GFS Backup Copy jobs. Under the Backup Copy job, the Target screen, you specify the # of "Restore points to keep" and you can optionally "Keep the following restore points for archival purposes" for GFS retention. Are all retained GFS backups kept in addition to the "Restore points to keep"?

So if I say keep 15 restore points, and keep 5 weekly, 3 monthly, 4 quarterly, and 1 yearly, when one year comes around I'll have a total of 28 available restore points on my Backup Copy respository?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

So if I say keep 15 restore points, and keep 5 weekly, 3 monthly, 4 quarterly, and 1 yearly, when one year comes around I'll have a total of 28 available restore points on my Backup Copy respository?
That's correct. Please check this animated example of how GFS works.
danielch
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by danielch »

Great information, thank you PTide!