Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

[UPDATE] New minor update is available (version 1.1.2)

Post by Dima P. » 2 people like this post

Hi guys,

New minor update 1.1.2.119 has been released today.

This update adds ability to start backup job from command line, putting the full power of Windows Task Scheduler in to the hands of those who'd like to go crazy with their backup schedule. It also addresses performance issues with very long incremental backup chains, and fixes a few minor issues from support.

You can download it from our website already. As usual, we will not initialize auto-update servers with this build until after a few weeks of pilot deployments.

Q: Do I need to recreate a recovery media after upgrading to 1.1.2.119?
A: No, this time it's not required.

Q: How can I use new ability to start jobs from command line?
A: Follow instructions in Help Center to create a script that will trigger backup job to start, or just schedule the command line using Windows Task scheduler.

Thanks!
apronk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Arend Pronk

Re: [UPDATE] New minor update is available (version 1.1.2)

Post by apronk »

The download links point to VBR, not VEB.
This is the link you probably meant http://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free-download.html
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks. The link has been corrected - happy testing!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Auto update functionality is enabled - time to perform check for updates :wink:
IDATAAB
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Post by IDATAAB »

Hi - I'm assuming that triggering the job via task scheduler maintains all of the job settings, and that I just need to remove the scheduled time from the job in Control Panel?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jeff,

Nope – its setup via Control Panel > Updates, just click Check for updates button.
IDATAAB
Influencer

Post by IDATAAB »

Hi Dima - I have upgraded VEB to the latest update. My question was more along the lines of this -
I have VEB configured to retain 14 restore points. However, I require a day off from running backups so that I can run scheduled maintenance on a NAS that is connected via iSCSI as local storage for the server that is being backed up.

What I am asking is this - If I create a powershell script using the command line - "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup and execute it using Windows task scheduler, will it use the setting from VEB and maintain 14 restorepoints?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Aha, got it!

There are two options for scripting: /backup for creating a regular rotated backup, so consider this backup to be an incremental(unless its a first full backup in the backup chain) and affected by retention setting of backup job.

/standalone is used to create a non-rotated full backup.
IDATAAB
Influencer

Post by IDATAAB »

Hi - thanks for the response. I misspoke here - not using powershell - I created a simple .cmd file (veeam.cmd) in Windows on the server where VEB is installed using the command line of "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup and then setup my Scheduled task to run that file - It is in fact using the retention settings of my defined VEB job and works like a dream!

In my case I needed to backup a VM that uses iSCSI attached storage as a local disk - Veeam B&R couldn't do this as the external storage of course is not a .vmdk. So - VEB to the rescue! Installed VEB on my VM, backing up the entire machine and external storage to a backup repository managed via my Veeam B&R server. I get notifications for the job via Veeam B&R and can even manage restores from there as well. With the enhancement to run jobs using Task scheduler I now have a very manageable solution. Perfect.
Good job guys!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jeff,

Understood - thank you for kind words! By the way, is there any additional scripting possibilities you are seeking or the existing functionality is good enough?
IDATAAB
Influencer

Post by IDATAAB »

For now the existing script works for this application. The physical server in question is running Pervasive SQL 11 SP3. Pervasive has its own VSS writer which triggers during the backup, allowing quiescence of the DB without a problem. On to the next step - a test restore to validate the integrity of the backup.

Thanks again!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Jeff – glad to hear! I am curious are you planning to automate the recovery verification somehow or it’s going to be performed manually?