Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Echo Internet
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Molesworth

Feature Request: CLI backup to alternate destination

Post by Echo Internet »

Hi,

I noted with interest the newly introduced functionality in version 1.1.2 allowing backups initiated from the command line interface. This is great news as some of our clients need to backup servers much more regularly than once per day.

We have the following scenario for a client however which the newly introduced functionality does not meet:

1). Hourly backups need to be made to an onsite data store, this allows for granular recovery in the event of conventional data loss i.e. server failure or deletion etc. Retention period is at least 30 days.
2). Daily offsite backups made to rotated RDX cartridges. This retention period for these is much less but the offsite backups ensure successful recovery in the event of fire or theft.

I was hoping to achieve the above using VEB with the scheduled backup job set to backup daily to the RDX drive at say 7pm. We would then use a scheduled task with the CLI to run hourly backups to our onsite data store between 8am and 6pm.

Unfortunately the above is not possible because the CLI switches cannot take an alternate backup location as an optional argument. One should be able to do something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe" /backup Z:\VeeamOnsite

Where "Z:\VeeamOnsite" is a location we would specify to 'override' the conventional location configured within the VEB control panel for the backup job.

The above seems as if it would be relatively straightforward to add in a future release as it does not complicate the UI further thereby retaining the KISS principle. This small addition however would significantly increase the flexibility of the product deployment scenarios.

I've said it before, but thanks again for a great product, it's a real game-changer in so many ways I am very much looking forward to watching VEB develop over the next few years.

Best,
James
agolubnichy
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alexey Golubnichy

Re: Feature Request: CLI backup to alternate destination

Post by agolubnichy »

Hi James,

Thank you for submitting this feature request!

At the moment the job settings presume a single backup target, so we won't be able to suggest a workaround. We will, however, take your feedback into internal discussion.

Kind regards,
Alexey
Echo Internet
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Molesworth

Post by Echo Internet »

Hi Alexey,

Thank you very much for your reply - here's hoping this is something you and the team feel can/should be implemented!

Best,
James
OTS2i
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: OTS2i - Olivier THIRIAU

Post by OTS2i »

+1 for this function