Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sirhideo
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Frankie

Restore Incrememtal Backup files from tape

Post by sirhideo »

So I have a forward incremental backup job that will trigger tape job to run afterward. When I restore the incremental from tape, say the latest vib, it restores the whole chain of the backup files from the tape.

However, if I look at the repository the whole chain are stored into different folders let say F:\TapeJob and F:\TapeJob_1.

When the restore complete B&R console has imported the data automatically under Backups -> Disk(Import). I cannot restore the actual data from import because the underlying data isn't in the same folder. Therefore I have to manually move the chain into 1 folder and import manually.

Would be good to know if this is a normal behavior or it is just me.

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Restore Incrememtal Backup files from tape

Post by PTide »

it restores the whole chain of the backup files from the tape.
That's ok since you need the whole chain to restore from the latest vib.
However, if I look at the repository the whole chain are stored into different folders let say F:\TapeJob and F:\TapeJob_1.
Could you elaborate on that please? Do you have all points from chain restored in separate folers (1 file per folder)?

Thank you.
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Yes sure. Say the restoration request contains 20 VIB+VBK files from tape, those files are somehow restore onto 2 folders. TapeJob and TapeJob_1. Each folder contains couple random vib or vbk files. They are the correct backup chain base on the restoration request.

That's why I have to browse to one of them, then move the data inside into another folder, and do the backup import manually.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Does it happen every time you are trying to restore backups from tape? Such behaviour may occur in case something has locked the TapeJob folder (antivirus software for example). Then restore-from-tape job not being able to write into original folder will will simply create another folder with index. Please try to reproduce that behaviour with all software that might be a cause for locking disabled and, if confirmed, kindly open a case with support (don't forget to post your case ID here).

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Out of curiosity - what happens if you specify a needed folder manually, instead of using repository option?
sirhideo
Enthusiast

Post by sirhideo »

Hi Pavel, the folder structure always happen like this if there are multiple vib+vbk need to be restored. We use agentless antivirus solution. Well, in fact the backup server is just pure windows 2012 attaching a HP autoloader, no fancy stuffs there..

Hi Vladimir, tried to do as suggested, this server -> specify a path. It still creates multiple folders from there.

It's ok to me to move all the files in to one place and import it back to veeam console before take real restore action. Just curious if this is the behavior of Veeam.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Just to exclude a particular server from the list of suspects, can you perform test restore to some different folder located on different sever? If the issue persists, kindly, open a ticket with our support. Thanks.