Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
krogerss
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Restore/Copy To transfer rate

Post by krogerss »

Hi all, I was just wondering what is considered a decent/good transfer rate for copying a large folder (75GB) to another location. Basically instead of restoring to its original location, I was copying it to another location locally on the Veeam server. It seemed really slow as the rate was only about 21MB/s or so. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore/Copy To transfer rate

Post by foggy »

Transfer rate would vary from environment to environment, depending on the backup storage and overall FLR topology.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

So would this be considered something on the "low" end?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Could you please describe your setup in more detail?
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Its a single server - Dell R520 running Server 2012 R2, 32 RAM, and 2 8-core Intel Xeon E5 2990 1.90 processors. Storage is local and is 6 3TB 7.2K RPM Near-Line SAS 6Gbps 3.5in in RAID 5. Veeam is version 8.0.0.2084 and is running in Network Mode (10Gb). One proxy and one repository on said server. I just copied a rather large folder - 75GB from a backup and placed it on this Veeam server since there was plenty of space. Transfer rate was about 21MB/s and it took a little over an hour. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I'd say that in case of all-in-one installation the speed is decent. There are too many factors that affect FLR performance: the number files in this folder, backup method (forward/reverse incremental) and the length of the chain (restore from older increment would be slower), compression, storage optimization settings (block size)...
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Ok. The restore point used was a full backup file from 2 week ago (10 restore points currently in chain) with a compression level of "High" and is part of a forever forward incremental job. Any suggestions on anything I could change to increase recovery performance? However, we do copy our backups to tape each night so Reverse Incremental may not be an option. On a side note, is there a way to look at the transfer rates for previous restores? I'm looking at the history, but the log and statistics do not show this. Thanks for your help.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Decreasing level of compression would increase FLR performance. Yes, restore history lacks this information.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

Ok, I have decreased compression, but the difference is minimal. I do have one other question regarding restores. The restore in question was restored to the local Veeam machine. However, whenever restoring a rather large file or folder across the network, the speed is maybe between 3 and 10 MB/s. This seems awfully slow. However, the backups in my opinion run a decent speed depending on the type of backup and how many machines are included in it. Are restores generally a lot slower? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There's not much sense in comparing backup and restore speeds, since they perform completely different actions, data flow differs, even involved components might be different.
krogerss
Enthusiast

Post by krogerss »

I guess my point is that there is no apparent network bottleneck. Just the restore performance is terrible. If we ever have to restore a considerable amount of data, we'll be down a while.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

The bottleneck might be somewhere else (for example, the backups storage - FLR performs heavy random read).