Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bsmltech
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup to Physical Drive Swap

Post by bsmltech »

Title says it. Can I backup an OS/file directory/virtual server that has Veeam installed on it? Or do I need a separate virtual host? Couldn't find my the Vsphere server this way. I tried the local IP, server name, and local host IP.

Any suggestions for doing the physical harddrive swap? Things I should be aware of?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup to Physical Drive Swap

Post by foggy »

bsmltech wrote:Title says it. Can I backup an OS/file directory/virtual server that has Veeam installed on it? Or do I need a separate virtual host? Couldn't find my the Vsphere server this way. I tried the local IP, server name, and local host IP.
Do you mean the ability to backup VM where Veeam B&R itself is installed? There should not be any issues with that, however, the recommended way of protecting Veeam B&R is using its built-in configuration backup functionality.
bsmltech wrote:Any suggestions for doing the physical harddrive swap? Things I should be aware of?
Are you talking about the rotated drives scenario?
bsmltech
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by bsmltech »

Hmmm. Your linked method, is this for recovering the Veeam B&R software/database and not the server? If the regular Veeam backups recover the server, and the Veeam software is installed on the same server, what is the point of this? Or is this the method for recovering said server?

Had a problem getting the Veeam software to identify the server to backup (on the same server). All avenues I tried wouldn't work.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, configuration backup/restore functionality is designed to provide fast backup server recovery without the need to restore the entire VM/server.
bsmltech wrote:Had a problem getting the Veeam software to identify the server to backup (on the same server). All avenues I tried wouldn't work.
I'd recommend to contact support with this issue.