Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KSin5779
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Feature Request: Backup / Restore Individual Jobs

Post by KSin5779 »

I have the need to move individual backup or replication jobs from one Veeam server to another.

I have been told to create the job on the other Veeam server and map it to the original backup data, but this does not work. The database on the new Veeam server has no information about the original job and basically needs to backup the whole VM again.

The new Veeam server already has backup jobs created on it, therefore restoring the database from the other Veeam server will not work as it will overwrite the one that is already in place.

It would be nice to have a way of backing up a single or multiple jobs and then restore them on another Veeam server, carrying over the database info so it can just continue on without having to create a new full backup. Is this a feature that can be included in an upcoming release?

Thanks,

Kenny
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Feature Request: Backup / Restore Individual Jobs

Post by veremin »

Have you tried to follow the procedure described here? Following the mentioned step, you should be able to migrate a job from one repository to the one. The fact that you have two backup servers doesn't change much in the referenced plan. Thanks.
KSin5779
Novice

Post by KSin5779 »

This describes how to move the backup data to a new repository. I know how to do this, but I am not moving the backup data. The backup data is staying where it is, in the same repository.

I need to move the BACKUP JOB (not the backup data) to another Veeam server...and I cannot because of the issues I explained in the original post.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As I've said the procedure should be the same. You move backup data created by original backup job to a new repository created by a second backup server, create a new backup job on the second backup server, and map the job to the moved data. Providing MorefIDs of the VMs stay intact, the initial run should be an incremental one.

Thanks.
KSin5779
Novice

Post by KSin5779 »

Again, I am not moving the backup data...only the backup job...

You are correct, when I do it the way that you have mentioned, the first job is an incremental...but it is the same size as a full backup.

This is because the new Veeam server running the backup job believes that the VM being backed up is essentially a new VM in the job...

I have discussed this a few times with Veeam support (on the phone as well), the backups are working as expected in this case; however, I would like to be able to move a backup job without having the first incremental the same size as a full backup job...this begins to add up quickly and disk space isn't exactly cheap...

The techs I have spoken with before have said to post something in the Feature Request forum, so here I am. They said maybe a feature could be something like restoring a single job or jobs from a full Veeam config backup, to another Veeam server in this case.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

KSin5779 wrote:I would like to be able to move a backup job without having the first incremental the same size as a full backup job
Actually, the process outlined in the previous post will not result in the first incremental with the same size as a full backup job. But we will double check with developers if what Vladimir said is still the case even when doing this across backup servers. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You are correct, when I do it the way that you have mentioned, the first job is an incremental...but it is the same size as a full backup.
I double checked with our QA team and they confirmed what I'd said before. Providing MorefIDs stay intact, the initial run should be an incremental one, and the newly created increment shouldn't be the same size of a full backup.

If it's not happening in your case, kindly, open a ticket, upload required logs, provide ticket's number here, and we'll investigate it further.

Thanks.
KSin5779
Novice

Post by KSin5779 »

I have opened a ticket regarding this issue in the past. The conclusion is what I have outlined here...

I will try to find the ticket information and get that to you....
KSin5779
Novice

Post by KSin5779 » 1 person likes this post

It was an old ticket: # 00595901. Not sure if you can look that info up...

The last contact I had was from Michael Graham on 7/18/2014:

"We discussed that because the relocation of the jobs would act in the same way adding a new VM to an existing job would the full increment would be expected.

This is to say the job considers this to be the first time the VM(s) are being backed up and would perform a full to the incremental point.

At this time there is no way to keep this from happening.

However, we discussed creating a feature request to use the configuration backup to relocate all job configuration information including REF IDs to a new or different Veeam server.

The idea would be to leave the target database or Veeam server to manage the relocated job intact but add the job information exported from the server that previously managed the job to the new server that will now manage the job."
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We will investigate the case, and try to reproduce the issue. I will post back, once I have more information regarding this matter.
KSin5779
Novice

Post by KSin5779 »

Thanks!
KSin5779
Novice

Post by KSin5779 »

Hello,

Any update on this? Have you been able to reproduce the issue?

Thanks...
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It seems that your case has been closed due to no response from your side. Also, the logs provided doesn't contain any information regarding the said issue.

However, the case correspondence has led us to one (potentially problematic) scenario which we're trying to confirm at the moment. Will keep the thread updated.

Thanks.
KSin5779
Novice

Post by KSin5779 »

Hello, I haven't checked back on this issue for some time, any update?