Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

VM in SureBackup Job fails everytime

Post by Zew »

I'm having a bit of issues getting my On-Demand sandbox to come up properly and consistently. I was able to get it up once, by having to get my Application Group to stop a couple checks it normally does to ensure service are running for set VM's.

But now every time I attempt to spin it up my SQL server says it doesn't come up in the allotted time. Even after I unchecked look for heartbeat and everything, no scripts nothing. I don't know if its cause my crazy infrastructure setup or not, or cause my VMtools is now out of date since updating the host to 5.5u3a...

This is my setup

As you can see all the Production VMDK traffic, and the R/O mounting of the Discs, AND the iSCSI vPower NFS traffic all go up and down the same Nic of Host 1. I feel I'm bottle necking it too much here, but when I actually look at the Nics status on vSphere I don't see it being maxed out at all, so I'm not 100% sure if that actually is the issue. Anyone provide any suggests as to what I could change to make the SureBackupjob keep moving onto the next VM to spin up without it checking if the SQL is ready or not?

FYI I already boosted the wait time to check if it's up from the default of 600 seconds to 2100 seconds which should be more than enough time for the VM to boot, also I can log into the server fine see it's up and Veeam still waits for the VM to "boot up"... could this be cause of VMtools?
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Re: VM in SureBackup Job fails everytime

Post by Zew »

I guess I'll just have to increase the wait time to even more than 2100, it came up this time successful again, but just before the 2100 timeout.. So I'll increase that and see if it succeeds more often.

Can anyone tell me what exactly it waits for, or looks for Veeam to see a VM as "up"?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: VM in SureBackup Job fails everytime

Post by alanbolte »

Where practical (as a matter of datastore space), I like to try to compare surebackup with surereplica, to see what kind of difference is caused by having to run I/O through the vPower NFS datastore, vs. having your replica VMs on a production datastore.

I believe you're asking about the stabilization algorithm:
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ssing.html