Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

V8 Replica Seeding questions

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

I am a about to replicate my first VM's to the DR site using seeding. So far I have:

1. Restored the synthetic full backups, incrementals and VMB job files up to 24/2/15.
2. Re-scanned the DR repository so the restored files show up
3. I have created a job for the first replica job but my slight confusion is:

If I follow this KB article it describes restoring it first, I think this is the advice for versions pre - V8 though?

http://www.veeam.com/kb1760

If I follow this it says the initial job will do it all for me, if I do it this way I cannot map the replica because it doesn't exist yet on the target datastore. Does that matter or is it not applicable in this case.

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... eding.html

Finally, can I add additional incremental files into the DR repository to further update the DR site's seeding status given that I may not be able to do all the jobs in one sitting. If so, do I need to re-scan the repository again?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V8 Replica Seeding questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alan,

If you have backup files on the repository and want to use these files as a seeding, then you should be using "Get seed from the following backup repository". As to replica mapping option, then you can use that if you have already restored and registered the VM on the destination host manually.

Thanks!
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Post by Alan_ORiordan » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Vitaliy, that article is what I was looking for.

I have started the process of replicating and so far so good.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

[MERGED] Replicate seeding

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

We create a replication job. Can we seed from an imported repository ?

On the source backup veeam server we create the backups to a local repository and transfer it to secondary storage.

On the replication veeam server we connect to the secondary storage and try to use it for seeding.

Is it expected behaviour that we encounter 0 restore points when using the secondary imported storage repository as a seed ?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi lowlander ,
Yes, replica seeding is supported in your case. Its procedure is described here. Please take a look.
lowlander wrote:Is it expected behaviour that we encounter 0 restore points when using the secondary imported storage repository as a seed ?
You can`t have 0 restore points for the replication, since in doesn`t make sense. Minimal value is one. Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Thanks,

I understand we have to have a minimal of 1 restore points :) The replication job informs us that there are no restore points found on the imported repository.

Let me explain the environment in more detail:

we have site A and Site B

On Site A
- we installed Veeam backup server for creating local backups to local repositories. Also we send a copy of the backup to a secondary repository on Site B
- we use a dedicated vSphere environment with its own vCenter server on Site A
- The secondary repository on Site B is defined as a repository on the Veeam backup server on Site A

On Site B
- we installed Veeam backup server dedicated for creating replication jobs for virtual machines on Site A with Site B as target
- we use a dedicated vSphere environment with its own vCenter server on Site B
- The secondary repository on Site B is IMPORTED as a repository on the Veeam backup server on Site B

When using the imported repository on the Veeam server on Site B (where we create the replication job), no restore points are found by the replication job when configuring seeding.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thank you for the explanation!
lowlander wrote:On Site B
- we installed Veeam backup server dedicated for creating replication jobs for virtual machines on Site A with Site B as target
It`s not obligatory to have VBR server installed on the site B for the replication. You just need to add target host and target repository containing the seed to the Site A VBR Server console, and map the target to the replication job.

However, if you want to run the replication jobs from site B, you need to rescan the repository to make the restore point visible (not just import backup files).

Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

No problem,

our design is to use a Veeam backup server on Site B to have an Veeam backupserver available in case of disaster. However it seems not possible to use the backups on this site with a different Veeam backup server.

For now the plan is to restore the virtual machine in site B from the imported backup repository on site B (=possible) and use this vm for seeding.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

lowlander wrote:However it seems not possible to use the backups on this site with a different Veeam backup server.
It is indeed possible. You just need to rescan the repository (right-click it and select the corresponding command) to be able to use backup files stored there for seeding/mapping. Simply importing backups is not sufficient.
lowlander
Service Provider

Post by lowlander »

Thanks foggy,

We made a mistake by selecting source repository on the virtual machine selection :(

replication job is now seeding :)
pglamb
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pat Lamb

[MERGED] how to best setup replication

Post by pglamb »

Good morning everyone!

I'm looking for advice. I've read the fine manual and FAQ and I've not found an answer to my dilemma. I would like to replicate to a disaster recovery (DR) site. As of today, the site has a Veeam B&R server and a VMware host. The host has no VMs in it. I would like the replication process to finish with a VM ready to be turned on and no "extra" copies of the VM (backups or replicas). I've got a slow WAN link and will use replication seeding. How should I go about getting replication up and running?

Thanks for reading and helping!

Pat
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Pat and welcome to the forums!

Here is the link describing replica seeding step-by-step.

To make long story short, you need to:
1.Make a backup of the desired VM
2.Deliver it to the backup repository on the DR site(over WAN or using removable device)
3.Rescan the repository
4.Create a replication job with the seeding option enabled and choose the repository where you have your backup files.

P.S. The forum is worldwide, so never know if the person to reply is going to sleep or just woke up :)
jim3cantos
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: José Ignacio Martín Jiménez

Post by jim3cantos »

Shestakov wrote:It`s not obligatory to have VBR server installed on the site B for the replication. You just need to add target host and target repository containing the seed to the Site A VBR Server console, and map the target to the replication job.
Well, if site A and site B have different subnets and you want to run surebackup jobs for the replicas, it seems that this is the easiest workaround: http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... tml#p78154
Shestakov wrote: However, if you want to run the replication jobs from site B, you need to rescan the repository to make the restore point visible (not just import backup files).
Thanks!
I have done that but the backups still appear as imported and replication job fails with error: No restore points found

Support Case ID (just opened): 01013862

Edit: Not sure if this has any relevance, but we don't have license for the host in DR site where we have installed another copy of Veeam Backup server.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Jose,
Could you describe your goal, please?
jim3cantos wrote:Not sure if this has any relevance, but we don't have license for the host in DR site where we have installed another copy of Veeam Backup server.
Do you have a server there with no license at all or with a trial license?
Thanks!
jim3cantos
Enthusiast

Post by jim3cantos »

Shestakov wrote:Hello Jose,
Could you describe your goal, please? Do you have a server there with no license at all or with a trial license?
Thanks!
The veeam backup server at DR has the same license file as main server at site A, but we have license only for two ESX servers at site A. DR ESX server at site B is at the moment only a destination for replicas and backups and we don't have veeam license for it.

Our goal is to be able to run an on-demand sandbox with some of the replicas in site B. I have just found also this thread:
http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... ml#p125156
but I prefer to follow up the problem with support before doing more testing...
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

jim3cantos wrote:DR ESX server at site B is at the moment only a destination for replicas and backups and we don't have veeam license for it.
Destination hosts for replication and migration jobs do not need to be licensed.
jim3cantos wrote:Our goal is to be able to run an on-demand sandbox with some of the replicas in site B.
Replication also supports having VBR server on the DR site. So you should not have any issues with that.

I see you posting similar questions in another topic. Could you specify is your plan to replicate from backups and is it related to seeding somehow(subject of this topic).
I`ll also keep track of your support case.

Thanks!
jim3cantos
Enthusiast

Post by jim3cantos »

Shestakov wrote: Destination hosts for replication and migration jobs do not need to be licensed. Replication also supports having VBR server on the DR site. So you should not have any issues with that.

I see you posting similar questions in another topic. Could you specify is your plan to replicate from backups and is it related to seeding somehow(subject of this topic).
I`ll also keep track of your support case.

Thanks!
I will try the approach suggested by Foggy in the other thread: http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... ml#p159944

Thanks!
Damian Netspeed
Influencer
Full Name: Damian Tracey

Post by Damian Netspeed »

another question. I have 2 servers onsite SITE A at the moment. 1 production server and a second server that will be going to SITE B next week to be used as a DR server.
Can I just run a replication job now on SITE A and then move the box to site B ? If yes, then what else is needed to be done when the box arrives at SITE B ?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Damian,
Damian Netspeed wrote:Can I just run a replication job now on SITE A and then move the box to site B ?
Do you mean running the job between two sites with server on site A first and than from another server placing on site B?
If yes, it is feasible.

However, if the plan is to move the target replication host from site A to site B after the first run of the job, it will also work with no issues, unless you change the host`s FQDN.

Thanks
Damian Netspeed
Influencer
Full Name: Damian Tracey

Post by Damian Netspeed »

Just to clarify

I run replica onsite- move box to new site where the host will have a new IP but once the VM running Veeam can resolve the FQDN then I am good to go ?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

That`s correct. Should work fine.
ITnMore
Lurker
Full Name: Joris Schepers

[MERGED] Take VM to DR site

Post by ITnMore »

Hello Community,

I have DR site. I have one VM that takes too long to replicate. I will go tomorrow to this site.
I will take this Veeam-zip of the vm with me on disk.

How do I import it in the DR site ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Joris, please find the detailed instructions for replica seeding in the thread above. Thanks.
ITnMore
Lurker
Full Name: Joris Schepers

Post by ITnMore »

Thumbs up ! tnx