Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
challengelogic
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: challengelogic

General implementation query

Post by challengelogic »

Hello
I wonder if anyone can steer me in the right direction - I'm new to the Veeam SCOM Management Pack product.

I have a VMware estate comprising of 4 Esxi 5.1 hosts managed by vCenter server and 2 separate Esxi 5.1 hosts based on a remote site (not managed by vCenter).

I have a single SCOM 2012 R2 Management Server and a remote SCOM Gateway server (where the 2 separate Esxi hosts are).

Do I install the Veeam MP on the SCOM Management Server directly? Will the Veeam MP be able to 'see' the 2 VMware Esxi hosts behind the SCOM Gateway server?

thanks

Karen
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: General implementation query

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Yes, you need to import Veeam MP to the SCOM Management Server. Do you have any routing configured to these ESXi hosts behind the gateway server?

Thank you!
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Karen,

This is a very interesting question indeed.

So, in order to add a system for monitoring, you'll need to have HTTP(S) connection to it (usually on port 443/SSL), so if you have Virtualization Extensions Service (main Veeam MP management point) installed in the same site as vCenter (for example on your SCOM Management Server), make sure VES has access to those 2 remote ESX hosts. It doesn't have to be collecting data remotely all the time - you can install a Collector on your Gateway server. In this case Collector will be connecting directly to these 2 hosts and then SCOM agent on a gateway will pick data and send it to SCOM. But for the initial contact, when you need to add a server in our UI, VES should have direct HTTP(S) access to the target, which means direct access to these remote ESX hosts.

If you don't have direct HTTP(S) connection to these remote ESX hosts, you may need to install a separate VES in the remote site, this means you will need two separate licenses, but I think our sales department can help you with that.

With respect to your Gateway, for simplicity, just think about it as a standard SCOM agent, if you install Collector on it it should work without any issues. The only question is HTTP(S) connection from VES to your servers as I mentioned above.

Let me know if you have any other questions
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Karen,

I think there is even simpler solution. If your Gateway can "see" both sides, ESX hosts and vCenter server, then you can install VES on it and control/monitor both vCenter and stand-alone hosts. With such a solution you won't need 2 licenses. There is one issue though - you have to contact our support team, because installing VES on Agent or Gateway requires additional steps and custom installation package.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.