Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkuczynski
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Kuczynski

CreateSnapshot failed

Post by pkuczynski »

Hi everyone,
I'm getting this error when trying to backup a XP SP2 VM.

0 of 6 files processed

Total VM size: 4.00 GB
Processed size: 0.00 KB
Processing rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode: agentless
Start time: 6/21/2010 10:44:46 AM
End time: 6/21/2010 10:47:09 AM
Duration: 0:02:23

Creating snapshot
CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-3315", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True"
Another task is already in progress.

Peter
pkuczynski
Enthusiast

Re: CreateSnapshot failed

Post by pkuczynski »

I have 4 XP VM's and after upgrading to 4.1, they all get this error.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello Peter, are you able to create a snapshot of this VM using VMware vSphere Client?
pkuczynski
Enthusiast

Post by pkuczynski »

No, says another task is in progress! What task?
pkuczynski
Enthusiast

Post by pkuczynski »

bump - help!
Um I think this might have been caused by veeam, as I do not take snapshots of any vm's, only veeam does.
So, after updating to 4.1, I see this issue but only on my 4 XP VM's
I have command line acesss to the host, maybe I can kill the snapshot from there?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Peter, looks like there is some active operation (not necessarily snapshot) that is preventing new snapshots from being created. Since this is VMware ESX issue that you are able to confirm with vSphere Client, I recommend that you open a support case with VMware to troubleshoot this further. Thanks!
pkuczynski
Enthusiast

Post by pkuczynski »

Thank you for your replys.

I was able to finish the resolution to the "snap shot in progress" issue, or Hung Snapshots as I call them.

The root cause is still yet to be determined, but I believe is was caused by a recent upgrade of veeam backup 4.1, AND performing the replication of the XP clients using the setting called Vmware vstorage API - San with failover (recommended). Prior to the upgrade, the XP clients would only lend themselves to a backup using the setting called Network Relication. All other 2003 servers and Linux clients work fine with the first setting.

As there was no way to kill a "hung snapshot", I started by physically disconnection the virtual machines folder on the SAN from the VM in the vsphere console. By MOVING the folder to another SAN LUN. The vm still showed as powered on at this point, which I knoew was a false reading, and then I added the new vm that I moved after appending a 1 character after it's name, and started it up.

To now get rid of the "Ghost" vm which still showed as powered on, I had to remove the Host from Vsphere HA - Select the host, right click then REMOVe and then Disconnect from the cluster.

After disconecting the host from HA and the cluster, i had to go to the ESXi console, and hit F2 and choose to RESTART MANAGMENT AGENTS. This takes about a minute.

After which time, I reconnected the host to the cluster and reconfigured for HA, then deleted the now DISCONNECTED ghost vm'.

Peter
hanymagdy
Lurker
Full Name: Hany Magdy

Post by hanymagdy »

the error Another Task Already In progress can be solved easily by restart the ESX Management Agent from the ESX console, but make sure that you disable the Automatic Startup/Shutdown VM from VSphere client.
asin@puleng.co.za
Novice
Full Name: Asi

Post by asin@puleng.co.za »

After a restart the error goes away, then comes back when you start the backup job for the second time.