Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
ftcnet
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bernard Klatt

File level recovery not working ?

Post by ftcnet »

I hope I'm missing something basic, but I can't restore files from a VEB backup. Customer had a laptop stolen and thought we could restore files to a replacement laptop. Stolen laptop had VEB installed (don't know what version). Installed VEB 1.1.2.119 on new laptop, start the Restore wizard, browse to the backup location

... but it doesn't find anything to restore.

Windows Explorer seems to show files that we should be able to use to restore from:

Is there a way to determine what version of VEB created those backup files? I've tried using a couple earlier versions of VEB, but Restore fails to find anything to restore. I don't have VEB Beta- would that be worth trying or is there something else that might allow a successful Restore?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: File level recovery not working ?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bernard,

As a first step, please try the pre release version as that’s might be an issue. I’ve sent you the download link via PM, so check your forum’s inbox. Let me know how it goes.
ftcnet
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Bernard Klatt

Post by ftcnet »

I've tried all the known VEB versions (8.0.0.1822 - 1.1.2.119), but none of them find anything to restore despite the presence of the .vbk and many .vib's. It appears restore won't work unless it finds a .vbm (metadata) file. Apparently the .vbm wasn't created.

I'm concerned that VEB is not going to be as reliable a backup solution as I hoped.
I checked the backup folders for the other notebooks and some of them don't have a .vbm file either (even though they have .vbk and .vim files).

Is there a way to re-create the .vbm file to allow a successful restore? Why does the .vbm file not get created if .vbk and .vim files are present?

Customer is going to be very #(*&#$(%! when I show them 197GB of Veeam backup files, but we're unable to restore anything.

Does the "Last backup was successful" message continue to display even if the .vbk wasn't created (or updated)? Do .vim files get saved even if the backup was interrupted? What determines whether a .vbm file gets created (or updated)?

Any assistance you can provide to help us understand what restore/recovery options we might have at this point would be greatly appreciated.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Bernard,

Please make a support case through your Veeam Endpoint Backup installation.

That being said, I have a few questions:

1. Can you check if the VBM file isn't deleted or grabbed by some anti-malware solution or something? I am a bit scared that you said that other backups also don't have a VBM file.

2. Can you double click on the VBK file and let us know what it says?

Let us know

Mike