Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
IDATAAB
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Rights restriction for Backup Copy job

Post by IDATAAB »

I was looking at creating a backup copy job of an Endpoint backup but read as I was creating the job that Copy Jobs do not retain user rights.

This is an entire server and am confused a bit by this. Does this mean that all of my NTFS file and directory rights are removed from the directory structure on a backp copy job?
agolubnichy
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alexey Golubnichy

Re: Rights retention Bacup Copy job

Post by agolubnichy »

Hello Jeff,

The copy jobs do not affect the user rights inside the guest. Please, let us know if this helps.

Kind regards,
Alexey
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jeff,

Alexey is right, but to explain what you have read... If you are backing up an endpoint to a VBR repository, you can make sure there is security on it, meaning that other users certainly can't reach to your backups and that YOU have the possibility to do recoveries. What we mean by losing rights is that you as a user won't be able to recover yourself from a backup copy job as that repository won't know who has rights or not... So it has nothing to do with the rights or permissions or whatever inside the guest.

Hope that makes it clear

Mike
IDATAAB
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jeff Wilson

Post by IDATAAB »

Ok that helps me out. Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

To clarify: recovery from backup copied endpoint backup is possible from any repository just with the VBR admin creds :wink: