Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
notthedude
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul DiMaggio

Fixing Windows 10 Mac/Apple Bootcamp Backups

Post by notthedude »

(This is my first time posting on any forum anywhere, so please let me know if I'm not following proper etiquette)

(Referencing Support Case ID: 01022624)

Pertains To:
Veeam Endpoint Backup (VEB) 1.0 or higher on Mac\Apple hardware running Windows 10 using Bootcamp 5.1 or higher

Root Cause:
The root cause is actually an issue with creating a System Restore Point on Windows 10. I originally found the answer here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 9643dcb53d

Summary:
With Bootcamp installed, AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys run by default when Windows boots up in order to mount the Apple HFS drive. This causes issues with creating a System Restore Point on Windows 10 (I'm not 100% really, so I'll save my guesses until I'm more confident).

Fix:
Disabling these Apple system drivers will once again allow System Restore Points to be created (and consequently, allow VEB to work). To do so, download "Autoruns" from the Microsoft SysInternals suite, search for the drivers, and uncheck them. Then reboot. You should be able to create Sytem Restore Points, and consequently, VEB should work just fine.

Gotchas:
By implementing this fix, you will no longer be able to see your Apple HFS drive when logged into Windows. Also, if you ever reenable the aforementioned Apple drivers, your System Restore Point will get wiped out. I'm not sure what kind of impact this has on VEB (I didn't test), but I suspect it will break it again.
agolubnichy
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Alexey Golubnichy

Re: Fixing Windows 10 Mac/Apple Bootcamp Backups

Post by agolubnichy » 1 person likes this post

Hello Paul,

Thank you for posting the solution here!

Based on the information available to Support, the same approach helped in a couple similar cases we encountered in the past. Do we understand correctly, that it worked in your particular case as well?

Should you need further assistance, you can have us re-open 01022624 or create a new case.

Kind regards,
Alexey
notthedude
Influencer
Full Name: Paul DiMaggio

Post by notthedude »

Hi Alexey,
Yes indeed. Disabling those Apple drivers resolved the issues. Thank you for assistance with this in the past!

Cheers,
Paul
mensa
Enthusiast

Post by mensa »

Hello,

is it still necessary to disable AppleHFS and AppleMNT to get Veeam working in Windows 10 on Boot Camp partition?
Or is there already another fix / workaround?

I am wondering, because I was able to backup a Win 10 Boot Camp partition withouth problems to a Veeam B&R server, but it fails when I want to backup directly to NAS shared folder.
Why?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

mensa,

May I ask you to open a case and share the case ID? Behavior should be identical despite the backup target you are using. Thanks!