Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
patelk@delmar.ca
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ketan

copy only .vib to tape

Post by patelk@delmar.ca »

Hello,
We have a backup to disk job which takes a active full backup every Friday and then incremental from Monday to Thursday. I have created 2 separate file to tape jobs. One is schedule to run Monday to Friday with a file mask of *.vib and the second file to tape job with a file mask of *.vbk. My problem is when the file to tape job runs it puts all the vib files to tape. I want it to only copy the last vib file to tape.
anyway to achieve this?

thank you
Crompton
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Roberts

Re: copy only .vib to tape

Post by Crompton »

Rather than using a File to Tape Job, I would suggest using a Backup to Tape Job.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Since you're still effectively copying both full and incremental files why not to do that within a single job?
patelk@delmar.ca
Novice

Backup to tape job puts the entire archive on the tape which increases our backup window drastically. We do active full backup every weekend which is over 2.5 TB. putting a full backup on the tape with all incrementals every night would be too much.

I was able to setup a PS script to copy only the latest vib to tape during weeknight and only the latest vbk during the weekend. The PS script that allows you to only pickup the latest file is discussed here:
http://forums.veeam.com/tape-f29/backup ... 17617.html

thank you
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Backup to tape job puts the entire archive on the tape which increases our backup window drastically. We do active full backup every weekend which is over 2.5 TB. putting a full backup on the tape with all incrementals every night would be too much.
You mean whenever backup to tape job runs it always copies the whole chain? If so, what overwrite and mediaset creation settings are specified on the given media pool? Thanks.
patelk@delmar.ca
Novice

Media Set: Do not create, always continue using current media set
Retention: Protect data for 6 days

after browsing this forum I learned that it is not possible to only copy the last vib or vbk that a particular backup job created to the tape using a backup to tape job attached to the given backup job.
I was able to achieve that using a PS script as mentioned above

thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The ability to always copy the latest full backup will be added in VB&R v9. But what's the reason of copying only latest .vib? Without previous incremental and full backup files the latest .vib would be useless. Thanks.
patelk@delmar.ca
Novice

sorry for the late reply. We are running tape jobs every day so in case of a disaster we will have tape that contains a vbk and then tapes with all the incrementals from each day after the full
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

But that is what a backup to tape job will actually do - archive .vbk and .vibs dependent on it. So, in case of disaster you would have .vbk along with .vibs.