Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
plochner
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil L

Eval: Can't Throttle Bandwidth

Post by plochner »

I'm on my 10th day of my simple Evaluation license for a one site/10 VMs/one repository to a similar setup over my WAN and when starting to mess with Replication, I can't seem to get Veeam to throttle my bandwidth. I just don't have the option for it.

I go into my Global Network Traffic Rules and tell it to apply 1mpbs for anything coming from my local Veeam server at 1.1.1.1 to a destination DR site also running Veeam at 1.1.2.1.

I right click on my Backup Proxy / Traffic Rules and I have absolutely nothing listed under "The following network traffic rules apply to this proxy:"

I don't have any way to add anything there, and the View button is greyed out. How do I get it to add my Global Network Traffic Rule to apply to that proxy?

I have verified that if I start up a Replication job it ignores my Global Network Traffic rule of 1mbps. I have set the Global Network Traffic rule in both my source and my DR site, thinking that they talk to each other, but no luck either.

What am I doing wrong?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Eval: Can't Throttle Bandwidth

Post by foggy »

Phil, are you using the default proxy server running in the backup server itself?
plochner
Novice

Post by plochner »

Well, I've tried both. Following the evaulation guide I created another Proxy which was basically veeam-1.mydomain.net. My list of backup Proxies would read:

veeam-01.mydomain.net
VMWare Backup Proxy

Neither of these allow me any way to add a traffic rule to the Proxy. I've even deleted veeam-01.mydomain.net from the list of Backup Proxies and re-added it, and during the Wizard it shows me the Traffic Rules area which is blank and again, no way to "apply the rule I created in the Global Network Traffic Rule" to this proxy.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

The proxy settings for traffic control just show what global rules apply to the proxy, you can't set anything there. That view populates automatically if you configure the correct global setting. If the replication job is set to use 'vmware backup proxy' as the source proxy, and 'veeam-01.mydomain.net' as the target proxy, and they're at 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.2.1 respectively, then you should set the global throttling rule like so (you can set single addresses but I'll list a range in my example):

source: 1.1.1.1-1.1.1.255
target: 1.1.2.1-1.1.2.255

When you go into the proxy settings for the proxy at 1.1.1.1, you should then see a rule listed for destination 1.1.2.1-1.1.2.255

If this isn't working, please create a support case (or call the support line to create a case) and post your case number here.
plochner
Novice

Post by plochner »

Turns out I had my IP range transposed, so I am now able to see the global traffic rule. That explains that!

Unfortunately, the test replication isn't ramping up to the bandwidth I told it to. My initial test in Traffic Rules was 1MB/s, and that worked fine. I stopped that replication, deleted the VM on the other side, and now I've given it a 2MB/s throttle, but unfortunately it's only doing less than 1MB/s. The bottleneck properly says "Throttling" as well. We are on a 20MB pipe so we have plenty of bandwidth, it's just not ramping up to the limit. The very first replication I tested without throttling did successfully ramp all the way up to the 20MB pipe (much to my users dismay for those 5 minutes it ran), so I know it's possible for it to go full blast, it just doesn't seem to be doing it.

Do I have to re-create the proxies when I change the traffic rules or something similiar? I have checked the proxies and both are now showing 2MB/s as my limit, just that the replication isn't actually running at that rate.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The changes in throttling rules should be applied immediately. If that doesn't happen, kindly, open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.
plochner
Novice

Post by plochner »

The replication ended up failing last night with a confusing error of "Error: Object does not contain the specified property config.hardware" The "All Time" throughput graph for the 16 hours it ran showed only a 1.3MB/s throughput.

Not really sure what that error is about, Veeam so far has been very easy to setup and get running. We had a similar "wonder what that means" error when we tried to backup Exchange as a test a few days ago. I'll open a support ticket for these issues and see how that works out.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It'd be appreciated if your post your ticket number here, once the case is opened, for the convenience of future readers. Thanks.