Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kbj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Kasper Jakobsen

Very slow Instant Recovery.

Post by kbj »

Hi.
I'm just testing my new Exagrid 32000 with my VMware infrastructure 5.5 Update3 on the hosts.
My Veeam-backup server is virtual and all vm's is placed on an all-flash SAN with very high performance. The infrastructure from SAN/Blade servers with ESX/Exagrid is running 10GBs networking.
My vPower NFS is placed on the Veeam-server (placed on the All-Flash SAN).
A backup to the Exagrid is fast (over 200 MB/s) and very stable. To restore a file or a full VM is also really fast. My problem is running Instant Recover directly on the Exagrid landingzone takes a long time.
I can start a small VM (40GB Windows server) in Instant Recovery and will be able to login to the machine in 5 min. but it will first be ready to work fairly after 10-15 min. If I start several VM's (10 windows servers as spoken) it takes hours and is very slow.
I can see that the read and write latency on the vPower NFS storage is very high. Max write is 2400 pr. millisec. and Max read is 5000. Average write is 600 and read 550.
Can anyone tell me why this disk-performance is so badly and why it takes hours to start a VM in instant Recovery? Remember all the restore is from the landingzone on the Exagrid, so no dedub at all. The vPower is located on SSD (All-flash san).
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Very slow Instant Recovery.

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What kind of vNIC does your Veeam Server have? Is it E1000?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Very slow Instant Recovery.

Post by dellock6 »

I guess it's a vmxnet3 otherwise the single Veeam server would not be able to send data at 200MBs as Kasper is saying, unless this is the apparent speed read in Veeam, since that also counts all the data savings coming from compression, dedupe and empty blocks.

How is configured the Veeam virtual machine? cpu, ram...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1