Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Nico2097
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nico2097

Feature Request - More triggers and backupnow switch

Post by Nico2097 »

Hello I'd like to see these features:

1) Possibility to Backup and then shutdown when not started on a schedule.
When I now select "at log off" as a trigger with "not more than once per 24 hours" I was hoping it would interrupt the shutdown process, backup and then shutdown.
Instead, my computer just shuts down without any backup

If I do log off only, it starts to backup, but when it finished I have to go over to my PC and shut it down, so if I backup in the night, the PC will remain on until next morning.
The option "shutdown after backup" now only exists when you run on a schedule, not when you use a trigger.

It would be nice to be able to let the backup run when I go to sleep, then have it shutdown when its done, not on a schedule, as my sleeping time is different everyday.

2) New Backup Trigger: at log on (we have log off, why not at logon or at startup?)

3) Command line switch for "Backup Now" so that we could trigger a backup from windows scheduler or a script, based on the triggers and conditions we define there.

4) Email notification capability with backup success or fail notifications
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request - More triggers and backupnow switch

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nico2097,

Good requests – thank you. Consider your list taken to next version feature discussions. One question – if endpoint can be integrated with task scheduler doesn’t email notification or additional backup schedule sound like a spare functionality? I mean you could do whatever you like via windows scheduler then, right?
Nico2097
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nico2097

Post by Nico2097 »

Hello Dima P.,

Well I don't need an email to tell me that windows scheduler has executed a command line which started a backup job in veeam endpoint protection.
I need an email to tell me if the backup was completed succesfully or not in the subject, with possibly more details (duration/size) in the body.
Such notification functionality would have to come from the backup software I believe.

But Yes, if there is a way to trigger the backup from a command line, such as "Veeam.EndPoint.Backup.exe /BackupNow" we can integrate it in windows scheduler or start it from a script, then having more advanced scheduling options becomes a spare feature. However as not all people have IT skills, a 'backup now and then shutdown pc' feature or 'backup at logon' trigger would certainly be user friendly to have in the GUI.
Edmondo
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Edmondo

Post by Edmondo »

i'd really like to see point 1 implemented as well.
Point 4 would be fine too.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can create a task in Windows Task scheduler that will monitor events about VEB jobs, so that upon completion you can initiate a PC shutdown via built-in Windows capabilities. Should do the trick.