Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
cloggy
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dick Hoogendoorn

No NAS shares found booting from Recovery Media

Post by cloggy »

Hi, I just installed your the latest version (1.1.2.119) of Endpoint Backup and before start using it as my backup system, I have a full backup and some incrementals written to the Synology DS215J, running DSM 5.2-5644. The backups to the Synology run fine but when I boot from the Media Recovery device (USB stick) and select that the backups files are on a network device, I can see my Synoloy after double click on WORKGROUP, my Synology is shown but when I double click on the Synology (DISKSTATION) to show the shares, nothing happens, no shares are visible and it doesn't even prompt for the user id and password. Note that I entered the the IP address (with \\) and the share name before I clicked on BROWSE.... :-)

I have no problems accessing shares on my Synology using Macrium, AX674 and Acronis from their respective boot medium.

Anybody having an idea what might be wrong? As long as I cannot access the NAS share from the boot media, I cannot use Endpoint Backup for my daily backups (and have to stay with Macrium Reflect Free Edition).

Thanks in advance.

Dick
cloggy
Enthusiast

Re: No NAS shares found booting from Recovery Media

Post by cloggy »

Hi, I've found a circumvention to my problem by going to the DOS command prompt first after booting from the recovery device and enter:
NET USE X: \\computername\share password /USER:username /PERSISTENT:YES
After this command, I go back to Veeam option and are able to access the backup share on my Synology without any problems.
So, can I assume that something in the Endpoint Backup GUI is not working correctly? At least is proves that nothing is wrong with my my Synology setup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Dick,

Is it showing the destination if you type in the path, creds and hit populate? What happen if you hit next with all the information being typed in? Thanks
cloggy
Enthusiast

Post by cloggy »

Hello Dimitri,

First of all, I got it working without the need to enter the NET USE command (you can see in test #3 how I got it working...).

I've done some more testing:
First test: No information in shared folder field nor access credentials. After clicking on BROWSE, I get another window (Select Share) and after clicking on WORKGROUP, I can see my NAS server (with the '>' sign in front of it). After double clicking on the NAS name, the only thing happens is that the '>' sign is being removed from the NAS name. Nothing else happens.

Second test: I entered the following information in the Shared folder field: \\192.168.1.150\backup and after clicking on BROWSE, I get the same situation and problem as seen in the previous item. So, the BROWSE option doesn't make much sense.

Third test: In the Shared folder field I entered the full path to the veeam directory on my NAS server: \\192.168.1.150\backup\backup-veeam
subsequently entered the access credentials and clicked on NEXT and.....voila, the next screen shows my .vbm files.

So, clicking on BROWSE doesn't make any sense, no matter what you have entered in the Shared Folder field. The solution is to enter the full path to the shared folder, enter the access credentials (if required) and then click on NEXT to get the information you're looking for.

As it is working fine now, I've installed VEB on my 2 computers and they are both running fine. Many thanks for you guys to make this solution available for free!!!! It's working even (much) better and faster than many other software solutions you have to pay for... :D

Regards...Dick
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Interesting behavior and, I bet, it completely refers to windows network surrounding mechanics. We use the native windows network browse functionality on this step of the wizard. In most of the cases you need to have proper path and proper credentials to make it work. General browse might not work due the limited of anonymous access to the network surrounding, so indeed typing the exact path is a best option. Thanks for testing!
cloggy
Enthusiast

Post by cloggy » 1 person likes this post

Most important, it is working but the behavior of VEB under Windows is completely different than running from the Recovery Media.
When performing step-1, without any information in the Shared Folder field, I can click on Browse, click on Workgroup, click on Diskstation, and click on the shared folder.. So, I can get to the shared folder without the need to enter any information but the user credentials This is the behavior I'm expecting to see when running from the Recovery Media device.

As mentioned before, it is working when providing the full path to the shared folder and that is the most important thing but....new users might stumble on this issue too and might decide not to use the product due to this strange behavior. Note that with the other products I tested (see my initial post), the full path to their backup folder never needed to be entered but could be reached by clicking through the menus (as can be done with VEB under windows).

FYI, I'm running Windows10 PRO X64 in case you want to try to reproduce it.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Dick,

Once again thanks for sharing the results of your tests! We will definitely look in to the results of your findings. Cheers!