Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pbeebe.lp
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Pete LP

Weekly synthetic full to tape config

Post by pbeebe.lp »

Hey there,

I've got an incremental (not reverse) backup job of a file server that runs daily with a Synthetic full scheduled ever Saturday. My desire is to write this synthetic full to tape on Saturday once the synthetic backup-to-disk job completes.

What's the recommended config for the backup-to-tape job in order to capture the synthetic full backup files? In the job config I've selected the backup job of interest and only have specified the media pool for full backups along with the Saturday schedule when the synthetic runs. On the schedule page I've got it set to run automatically "After this job" and again selected the backup job of interest. Is this an accurate configuration for my desired goal?

Thanks in advance,

~Pete
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Weekly synthetic full to tape config

Post by veremin »

Instead of "After This Job" I would set weekly schedule for the tape job (deselect all days, but Saturday) and set time when backup-to-disk typically finishes, plus, some overhead.

"Schedule" settings on full media pool page refer to virtual full backup options and apply only to forward forever incremental chain (that's not the case in your situation).

Additionally, I would enable "Create a new media set for every backup session' and make sure that retention on tapes is longer than one on disk.

Thanks.