Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tbresson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Bresson

Job schedules explained

Post by tbresson »

Hi.

I was wondering where I can find more information about how the backup schedule works behind the UI.
We are trying to set up our jobs with a simple daily incremental and a full backup on weekends and always seem to run into trouble.
Without getting into it too much to begin with (if it's explained somewhere) I'll make it short:

By using chained jobs we ran into an issue where either no full backup was done or full backup was done twice or trice; this was due to a job could be set to run after a job that might finish the same day or the next.
Then we tried adding the short jobs first and let the bigger jobs run later only realizing the full backup on the last jobs didn't start even though a test earlier showed a full backup will run even if it's not scheduled to start the that day.

I know this might get a bit complicated without the specific details so if there's no in-depth information about it I'll try and explain the jobs we tested.

Thank you.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Job schedules explained

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please provide more details about your job settings (i.e. schedule, policy), goals and environment.

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

By the way,
Job chaining is not recommended due to undesired consequences it incurs. We recommend to enable parallel processing instead. Configure the maximum number of concurrent tasks allowed on proxy/repository, start the jobs one by one with a short interval (say, 5 minutes), and let automatic resource scheduler do its job.
Thanks!
tbresson
Novice

Post by tbresson »

Thank you.

I'll try and post more tomorrow about our setup.
I thought about using the maximum connections on the storage as mentioned but I just didn't think it sounded like a solution more like a workaround.
I even thought about maybe starting the jobs with PowerShell scripts to get better control but I haven't read up on it yet.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Could you specify how powershell can provide better control in your case?
Thanks!
tbresson
Novice

Post by tbresson »

I heard there was some options regarding scheduling of Veeam jobs via PowerShell. I don't know that much about it as I haven't read that much yet but one thing I did read was being able to run full backup jobs every 14 days.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

tbresson wrote:By using chained jobs we ran into an issue where either no full backup was done or full backup was done twice or trice; this was due to a job could be set to run after a job that might finish the same day or the next.
Then we tried adding the short jobs first and let the bigger jobs run later only realizing the full backup on the last jobs didn't start even though a test earlier showed a full backup will run even if it's not scheduled to start the that day.
Basically, full backup is triggered on the day it is scheduled at regardless of the job main schedule. However, jobs chaining affects its execution (if the job is chained with other jobs and actually starts on the next day, not the one the full is scheduled to be performed at, the full is not triggered at all).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I heard there was some options regarding scheduling of Veeam jobs via PowerShell. I don't know that much about it as I haven't read that much yet but one thing I did read was being able to run full backup jobs every 14 days.
Yes, you can disable active and synthetic full schedules and run full backup on demand, using this script. The script needs to be setup via Task Scheduler to take place every two weeks. Thanks.