Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Help me with SQL application processing settings in v8

Post by davidb1234 »

We just upgraded to v8. I see there is new application aware settings for SQL. I have tried reading through the documentation but cannot figure out what is the proper settings.

We have SQL servers that have a mix of SIMPLE and FULL recovery model databases on them. What is the proper settings when you have a SQL server that has databases that are mixed? I see that it has automatically changed my jobs to PERFORM COPY ONLY. Will this still back up a simple recovery database as well as CHECKPOINT the log file so that it will reuse space on a SIMPLE database?

Previously for SQL servers that have both full and simple recovery model databases I would run a full SQL backup job nightly and log file backups during the day. I would enable application aware processing and set it to not truncate logs. This would checkpoint the log files during the backup for SIMPLE databases so they can be reused but not truncating them.

Also what is the proper setting for a SQL server that has ONLY simple recovery databases. Process Logs and Do not truncate logs?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Help me with SQL application processing settings in v8

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Databases with simple recovery mode are automatically skipped by SQL backup jobs, since there are no logs to ship to the backup repository. Please look through this page of the User Guide for additional details. Let me know if that helps!
PeterSchwatz
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Schwartz

[MERGED] MS SQL2012

Post by PeterSchwatz »

We have one MS SQL Sever 2012 with 3 databases. Two databases have the recovery model "simple" one database "full".
What kind of Application-Aware Process Options for the SQL Server should I use? "Truncate logs (prevent logs from growing forver)" oder "Do not truncate logs (requires simple recovery model)"
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Peter,
As explained above, Databases with "Simple" recovery model are automatically skipped by SQL backup jobs, I would use truncate option for the Full model database.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Peter, what is the reason of having the Full recovery model for that database?