Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brianlees
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Feature Req- Ability to run "maintenance" part of job

Post by brianlees »

Once in a while, a job with a GFS configuration has some issues - perhaps it is not given enough time to run, etc. It would be great if we had the ability to run the maintenance portion of a job (merging, etc) without copying new data to it. This option should give the option to compete the task without the limitations of the Copy interval to ensure that the job runs.

By offering this option, it allows admins to fix things on the fly. For example, what happens if a backup target is running out of disk space. (I realize that v9 has functionality to correct this) If you could stop the job, re-arrange some files to free up space, and then kick of the maintenance only portion you could then ensure that at restore points that need to be merged and deleted are completed prior to continuing with normal operations.

I'm experiencing a real-work example right now. It was discovered that a copy job was not completing, leaving 48 to 55 restore points in a job that shouldn't have more than 28. This is consuming A TON of disk space on our NAS. I know that once the maintenance runs, it will free up that space. However, the only way to do this is to modify the job to run longer. A "Run Maintenance" option would allow me to keep the job as is and still complete this task.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Feature Req- Ability to run "maintenance" part of job

Post by PTide »

Hi,
a copy job was not completing, leaving 48 to 55 restore points in a job that shouldn't have more than 28
Do you trigger your backup copy manually (Powershell, manual sync)? If not then please open a support case because that's an unexpected behaviour - maintenance routine usually takes place outside the interval.

As a workaround I suggest you to set sync.interval to 5 minutes, wait for backup copy job to run so and set the interval back - this will let your backup copy job to apply retention to your target chain.

UPDATE: Do you use WAN accelerator by any chance?

Thank you.