Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bungle
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mark Neely

Restore from 3par storage snapshots

Post by bungle »

I have one large VM (file server) which has 1st vmdk and configuration files on datastore1 2nd vmdk on datastore2 and 3rd vmdk on datastore3.

I have a snapshot schedule configured on 3par to snapshot all three datastores and in Veeam infrastructure I can see all the snapshots, under backup > SAN I can only see datastore1 so can only restore guest files from 1st vmdk is this a limitation of the Veeam explorer for SAN snapshots?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore from 3par storage snapshots

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Mark, yes, this is a limitation of Veeam Explorer for SAN Snapshots, VMs with virtual disk files located on different storage volumes are not supported (unless the VM was backed up by Veeam B&R from SAN snapshot). Only disks residing on the same datastore with VMX file will be available for all restore types. This is covered in the release notes document.
bungle
Influencer
Full Name: Mark Neely

Post by bungle »

Thank you, I will just have to use the alternative of presenting snapshot to VMware and adding the required vmdk to a VM then I can copy off the required files
athome
Service Provider
Full Name: Anders Thome

Post by athome »

We also see this as a limitation, would be nice if this was available in future versions, so I call feature request :-)
ssmith
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sean Smith

Post by ssmith »

foggy wrote:Mark, yes, this is a limitation of Veeam Explorer for SAN Snapshots, VMs with virtual disk files located on different storage volumes are not supported (unless the VM was backed up by Veeam B&R from SAN snapshot). Only disks residing on the same datastore with VMX file will be available for all restore types. This is covered in the release notes document.
1) Could you please clarify what you mean by "unless the VM was backed up by Veeam B&R from SAN snapshot"?
It will still not work from Veeam Explorer for SAN snapshots? Only when restoring this VM from disk, right?

2) What do you actually see if you have a VM with 5x16TB drives on different datastores/LUNs when browsing the Veeam SAN Snapshot Explorer? Nothing, not even in the the snap with .VMX/first .VMDK?

Thanks in advance.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

1. Right, if such VM was backed up using SAN snapshots, then you will be able to restore guest files from any of its disks.

2. Disks that are located on the same datastore with vmx will be available for restore.