Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Javezim

Endpoint to Service Provider

Post by Javezim »

Hey Team,

Has anyone had any success in setting up Veeam Endpoint to Communicate with Backup and Replication v8, and have the Endpoint backups copied offsite.
The issue I am faced with currently is that We have Veeam Endpoint on my Desktop, then Backup and Replication on our server.
Buuuuuut in B&R we don't have the "Service Providers" Option available to us.
I heard mention that you need to have a Hyper-V or VMware Host setup for these options to appear, but what if we don't want any virtual machines backed up, just the physical desktops and laptops around our office.
If anyone has any insight on this it would be fabulous!

- Ryan
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Endpoint to Service Provider

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ryan,

To clarify, your Endpoint is using VBR repository as a target and then you want to perform a backup copy job from regular repository to your cloud repository is that correct? Thanks
Javezim

Post by Javezim »

Hey Dima,

Yeah that's correct.
Problem is the Backup and Replication doesn't show the "Service Providers" Tab to set this up.
But that is our end goal yes :)

- Ryan
Javezim

Post by Javezim »

patrickds
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Patrick De Smedt

Post by patrickds »

I noticed this as well, last time i installed Veeam B&R.
A lot of the options do not appear before you configure a backup source, so either a VMware or Hyper-V host.

You could try adding one, then setting up your offsite copy, and removing it again.
But why would you buy Veeam if you're not going to backup VMs?
Javezim

Post by Javezim »

So do you need to setup a host before these options are presented?
Was really just curious if you could use it directly with Endpoint only, with no Hyper-V/Vmware Host, in a say one of the smaller offices that didn't have any virtualized servers but we still had a cloud connect license.
patrickds
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Patrick De Smedt

Post by patrickds »

You can deploy a repository and proxy in your remote site, without needing a full Veeam server.

Make your Endpoints backup to this repository, and manage the offsite copy from your central site.

That's how i have it set up for one of our customers, except that backup copy goes to the central site, instead of Cloud.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Patrick’s suggestion sounds right, thanks! Ryan, does that work for your case?
Javezim

Post by Javezim »

Hey,

We don't own the offsite, it's a Service Provider we go through.
Is there anyway to get the Service Provider Tab opened without adding a Hyper-V/Vmware Host so we can achieve off-site backups for a location where there is no visualization.
Just a few Desktops/Laptops and a Physical server.

Physical Server say has the B&R Installed, and then wants to target out Off-site repository through a service provider?

- Ryan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ryan,

Unfortunately, that's by design, however as a workaround you can open a support ticket and ask our engineer to add a corresponding record in the VBR database that will "unlock" service provider node in the backup console.

Please refer to this thread when opening a support case.

Thanks!