Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Javezim

Linux Machine Freezing During Backup

Post by Javezim »

Hey Team,

We are needing to backup some Production Hyper-V Virtual Machines running Ubuntu 14.04.
The machines accept incoming connections so we really need it to be up and usable 24/7.
The problem we are finding is that Veeam Backups are freezing the Linux Machines each time the backup runs.

We've attempted to use the Hyper-V Quiescence with Crash Consistant Backup which we believe was meant to keep the VM Running throughout the backup but it still freezes it up.
Was wondering if anyone knew of a way to keep a Linux VM Active during the backing up process.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

- Ryan
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Linux Machine Freezing During Backup

Post by alanbolte »

Which Windows OS is the host running?

If 2012R2, have you installed the appropriate daemons? See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 31029.aspx

Can you tell whether the Hyper-V host is explicitly putting the VMs into a saved state?
Javezim

Post by Javezim »

Hey Alan,

Windows 2012 Standard (Not R2)
I'll give that a look over.

Now will these Daemons prevent the Virtual machine from Freezing during the Backing up?
alanbolte
Veteran

Post by alanbolte »

Ryan,

Per that matrix, 'Online' (application and filesystem-consistent) backup via integration tools is only supported on your Linux OS in 2012R2. Considering notes 3 and 13, I'm not sure how useful it would be to you anyway.

You should still be able to obtain crash-consistent backup, which is why I'm asking whether the VMs are put into saved state by Server 2012, or if they just stop responding for a time due to the resource load of the backup. Either way, please post your support case number.
Javezim

Post by Javezim »

I believe they just stop responding for a time due to resource load of the backup.
Any way around that?
alanbolte
Veteran

Post by alanbolte »

Depending on the exact issue, you may just need to throttle the backup / alter scheduling, or it may be a complex infrastructural issue with no easy answer, requiring assistance from your hardware vendor(s). Please contact technical support for assistance in isolating the issue.