Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rdc373
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: RDC

Planning a Veeam Deployment :: A Few Questions

Post by rdc373 »

I have chosen Veeam for demands of a redundant system - for severs hosted in vSphere. Getting ready to implement soon - and just had a few questions regarding real-world hardware configurations.

I have been going through the manual / documentation, and set up a testlab with some spare workstations (have really been liking Veeam and what it has to offer). I do have a few questions on real-world deployment though.

(my deployment will be for deploying VM replicas on a twin sever to guarantee up-time during failure with vSphere guest, server installations )

1) How should I configure the repository size on storage? I was thinking of going almost double of what we actually need on the storage size (meaning double the total capacity of all VM hosts combined). I will be using a Linux repo, and thinking about doing software RAID 1 as well. I just want to use software RAID1 since it will eliminate a RAID card as point of failure (and needing to find another with exact firmware, etc...). I think RAID 5/6 is over-complicating things - as both vShpere servers do RAID6 and other backups will be in place for user-data.

VM Images combined will be a few TB.

2) CPU power on the Backup Proxy? CPU hungry or RAM hungry? I have two choices but cannot mix/match hardware due to architectures:
Box 1 Xeon 4-Core 2.40Ghz :: 2GB RAM (maybe can dig up another 2GB)
Box 2 Pentium G3260 3.20 16GB RAM
- one will be the Proxy and the other a repo.

I know there are other things to consider like offsite storage of backups, etc... - etc... But taking things as they come right now.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Planning a Veeam Deployment :: A Few Questions

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
rdc373 wrote:1) How should I configure the repository size on storage? I was thinking of going almost double of what we actually need on the storage size (meaning double the total capacity of all VM hosts combined). I will be using a Linux repo, and thinking about doing software RAID 1 as well. I just want to use software RAID1 since it will eliminate a RAID card as point of failure (and needing to find another with exact firmware, etc...). I think RAID 5/6 is over-complicating things - as both vShpere servers do RAID6 and other backups will be in place for user-data.

VM Images combined will be a few TB.
For the repository size recommendation please take a look a this thread > calculating backup size. If you owe Veeam ONE, then this report > VM Change Rate Estimation.

As to RAID level, then it is usually recommended to use RAID 10 for better performance rates. This topic is a good reading too.
rdc373 wrote:2) CPU power on the Backup Proxy? CPU hungry or RAM hungry? I have two choices but cannot mix/match hardware due to architectures:
Box 1 Xeon 4-Core 2.40Ghz :: 2GB RAM (maybe can dig up another 2GB)
Box 2 Pentium G3260 3.20 16GB RAM
- one will be the Proxy and the other a repo.

I know there are other things to consider like offsite storage of backups, etc... - etc... But taking things as they come right now.
As regards proxy configuration, then please take a look at our system requirements doc. Both CPU and Memory is important. 2 GB for a backup proxy seems too little, so I would go with box 2. BTW, how many VMs are you going to protect?

Thank you!