Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
eitc_hl
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam Management Query

Post by eitc_hl »

Hello,

I am planning to deploy a 3 stage backup solution with 3 x Veeam management consoles once configured. The first server will be the VM backup to disk direct from SAN, then from here I plan to create backup copy/archive jobs to a second server in another building to disk. From here these will go to tape and also be replicated to another site.

My question is, can I manage the same set of jobs from the console on each server, or do I just use the main server and add them in to management from here? I am guessing veeam installs the proxy components so you can do this, would this work right back from the source and based on what I want to achieve?

Many thanks for looking.
eitc_hl
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Veeam Management Query

Post by eitc_hl »

I also have a legacy Veeam management server with some backup jobs I'd like to transfer, is this possible?

Also, what backup type would you recommend for each stage of the backup cycle? I was thinking reversed incremental as I should get good performance for stage 1 but not 100% sure there after.

Thanks again
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Management Query

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,
eitc_hl wrote:My question is, can I manage the same set of jobs from the console on each server, or do I just use the main server and add them in to management from here?
Jobs can only be managed from the one backup server. If you deploy three backup servers, then these VBR servers will act independently. I would recommend to deploy Veeam backup server components (repository and tape servers) instead.
eitc_hl wrote:I am guessing veeam installs the proxy components so you can do this, would this work right back from the source and based on what I want to achieve?
Yes, definitely. All you need to do is to deploy repository server and tape servers components.
eitc_hl wrote:I also have a legacy Veeam management server with some backup jobs I'd like to transfer, is this possible?
No, you will need to re-create these backup jobs in the new backup console. In order to retain existing backup chains, you will need to map new jobs to these backup files via advanced backup job options.
eitc_hl wrote:Also, what backup type would you recommend for each stage of the backup cycle? I was thinking reversed incremental as I should get good performance for stage 1 but not 100% sure there after.
Backup copy job is using forever incremental backup mode and you cannot change that. As to the primary backup job, then you can use either our default job mode or switch to reversed incremental mode.

Thanks!