Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
lievenVERCRUYSSE
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lieven

Error: Tape not exchanged

Post by lievenVERCRUYSSE »

Hello,

Since we updated veeam backup & replication 8.0 to version 8.0.0.2030 we started having problems with our backup to tape system.
An example of the error received is the following:

Tape not exchanged. Tape Week3_Vrijdag_tape4 requires return to original slot 4, but it is already filled. Move tape manually, and retry operation.
Failed to backup some full backup files, skipping the corresponding incremental backups

We have contacted veeam support for this but the answer we got there was:
We have no immediate solution, you will have to wait untill the next update to solve this. Ofcourse for us this is unacceptable. In the meanwhile I found a solution that works:
If we manually erase all the tapes before the backup job starts there seems to be no problem and everything runs smoothly.

So my question is, since im a total newbie writing scripts for our tapeloader, is there a script that erases all online tapes before starting the backup.
Can you give me the code to do this?

Thanks for your answer
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Error: Tape not exchanged

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Can you check the solution proposed in the following KB article and let us know if it helps: Tape requires return to original slot , but it is already filled. Thanks