Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Steps after 'Failover Permanently'.

Post by readie »

I have just done a successful failover to a 3 day old replica restore point, after corruption of data on the server. Went without a hitch and I have now done a 'Failover Permanently', which has added the original server to the exclusion list on the replication job. I have some further questions (hopefully before our overnight backups trigger tonight!).
1. Do I have to add it to the exclusion list for my BACKUP job manually, or will Veeam have spotted that and remove it?
2. I should like to delete the original VM, rename the now current replica, and move it to the correct folder in VCentre. I presume this will then trigger a complete full backup, and also full replica, on the first overnight processes?
3. Is there any way of seeding these from the old replica/backups . . . (there might be two answers, one for my backups and one for replicas, as I realise the replica now really doesn't exist, so it will have to start again with a full?)
4. I presume I will then want to storage migrate the currect server off my backup datastore onto the production datastore.
Is there a 'best order' for performing these tasks, and have I forgotten anything?
thanks, Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Steps after 'Failover Permanently'.

Post by foggy »

1. Yes, you'd need to handle other jobs targeted to this VM manually (i.e. re-add the VM into them).
2. Yes, since replica VM has different VM ID, it will be treated as a new one.
3. You can map backup job to existing backup file, however initial job run will still be full, due to the VM ID change. You can seed the replica job from the newly created backup of this VM, however.
4. This is a reasonable step as well.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Re: Steps after 'Failover Permanently'.

Post by readie »

Many thanks for the reassurance. I've now done all that and will see what happens overnight now.
Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.