Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
smcs
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Show Me

Backup Over Internet To Backup Repository in Backup & Replic

Post by smcs »

I have Veeam Backup and Replication installed and working perfectly locally. I have a backup repository setup and working. My problem is that I have 1 remote computer in another town using Veeam Endpoint Backup and when I run the job to backup to my Repository I get an error. I start the job and it starts fine. I can see the job connect to my local repository and start up, but after a couple minutes the job fails every time and states that the remote host took to long to respond. Can anyone help me get this working? I just need to be able to backup the endpoint to my repository. I have opened up the ports stated in the ports document, but that made no difference. ANy help would be very appreciated...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Over Internet To Backup Repository in Backup & Re

Post by PTide »

Hi,

The reason for such behaviour could be an unstability and slowness of your WAN connection between sites. As a workaround please try to do the following:

1. Run regedit on the Veeam EndPoint Backup side:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup

2. Create DWORD value ConnectByIPsTimeoutSec=1000
3. Restart Veeam EndPoint Backup service and try once again.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Another way to resolve that would be to create local repository in the remote site (town) and use it as a target for the VEB backup job.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

If you do create a local repository for the second site, do not forget to add the local gateway server for this repository. Then all the traffic is going to be routed on premises and endpoint will backup directly to the said repository bypassing the VBR server.
smcs
Influencer

Post by smcs »

Thank all of you for giving a reply. I will try these changes when I get home. Keep in mind that I have a fiber gigabit connection to my home so that should be fast enough. The connection from the office is 100mg

As for local repository, I have no idea how to set that up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how the best way to accomplish this backup would be? I just want it to work. I thought a direct connection to my server would be best but it doesn't work yet. I see the backup connect to my server and run for a few minutes then it fails and it fails at the exact same point every time. All I am trying to do is backup my remote server into my server repository at my home. Any suggestions would be great..

I will try the replied suggestions as soon as I get home and post results here.

Thank you all
xbasetech
Lurker
Full Name: Stuart Demeter

Post by xbasetech »

Hi SMCS,

We are trying to accomplish the same thing - remote laptop backup to a Veeam repository at a data centre.

We see similar results - job starts and fails after a couple of minutes.
Looking at the error message, I can see that the client is trying to connect to the internal IP address of the repository on port 2501.

"Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host failed to respond 10.10.20.26:2501"

Is there a setting on the repository server to define the "public" address to publish to remote clients?

I see that some people are using VPN connections, however that is not practical in our deployment.
smcs
Influencer

Post by smcs »

That is the exact same error that I am getting. Same error and same port. I have all ports opened and still get that error. VPN is not feasible for us either.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Another option would be to setup a CIFS share on your local repository machine, add that share as another repository into console and specify your VBR as a gateway server for that repo. Don't forget about permissions on repository.
smcs
Influencer

Post by smcs »

PTide,

Thank you for the reply. Can you send instructions for setting up the CIFS share suggestion?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

You can find numerous guides on the Web explaining how to configure CIFS/SMB share depending on what OS your repository server is running. Here is an example for Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu.

After your share is ready all you need to do is to promote it to your VBR as a repository (don't forget to specify your VBR server as a gateway in repository options) and use it as a target for your Endpoint job.
smcs
Influencer

Post by smcs »

Im sorry I misunderstood. I already have it setup that way. Right now I have my unraid server sharing out a folder for VBR. VBR has the repository. My remote endpoint connects to it over the internet and I can see it start the backup job in VBR, but after a couple minutes the job fails. I thought you were saying the VEB could create a local backup then ship it over somehow.

Thats why im posting here the CIFS share and repository are setup properly because my business is using it, but my remote client won't backup successfully, it starts then fails. I would be willing to pay someone to remote in and help me fix this. I have to get it working. Its so close but not close enough. I have not tried the registry fix yet because I lost connection to the server. I will restore that this weekend and try it.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

The registry key I've provided will not help because your problem is network related.

Just to confirm everything: you have a CIFS repo added in your VBR console with VBR specified as a gateway and still no luck, correct? If so please try to do the following:

1. Mount CIFS share directly to VBR server. Do not add it as a repository, just add as a network drive.
2. Create new local repo, choose VBR server, specify full network unc path to your shared folder, e.g. \\shareserver\sharedfolder

I've just tested that and everything went fine. Please let me know if that works for you.

Thank you.
smcs
Influencer

Post by smcs »

PTide,
On Step 2 you say "Create new local repo, choose VBR server, specify full network unc path to your shared folder, e.g. \\shareserver\sharedfolder"
How do I create local storage to my VBR Server from a remote computer over the internet?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

How do I create local storage to my VBR Server from a remote computer over the internet?
You've mentioned
Right now I have my unraid server sharing out a folder for VBR. VBR has the repository.
So just present your shared folder to your VBR server as a folder, instead of adding it as a repo. After that add a new repo, but instead of adding "Shared Folder" repository choose "Microsoft Windows Server" and pick VBR, specify full network unc path to your shared folder . "Local repo" means that VBR will treat itself as a local repository.
smcs
Influencer

Post by smcs »

I have atried everything that I can think of with no success. Even following your directions it fails. I am willing to pay someone to help me get this working. If you are interested please let me know.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi smcs,

I guess its time to open a support case directly from the Endpoint's Control Panel > Support > Technical support. Veeam Endpoint Backup has a Free support and I am almost sure these guys will be able to help you :wink:
smcs
Influencer

Post by smcs »

Would anyone be interested in remoting in and getting this to work for me?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi smcs,
As Dima suggests, please open that support case and add information in the box (including the URL to this thread). If necessary, support will remote in.

Also, after you have received an ID, please post it here for further reference and keep this thread updated

Thanks

Mike
prewest
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Arnold van Blanken

Post by prewest »

Hi,

I have this working for some time now, you need to setup the repository in B&R to use the WAN IP. (I`m using Linux Repositories over SSH)
after that it should work (I`ve got 20 SBS2011 servers using this)

king regards,

Arnold van Blanken
Prewest
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Honestly, this can be easily achieved: they only trick is to have a public IP address, reachable for the VEB job and that’s it :wink:
Peyo
Lurker
Full Name: Pierre M

Post by Peyo »

Hello,

I encounter the exact same issue, could you please tell me how to do the trick "have a public IP address, reachable for the VEB job" please ?
I could not find how to do it...

Thanks for your help !