Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

SQL Server Database maintenance for VBR steps

Post by albertwt »

People,

Can anyone here share what's the best way to perform SQL Database maintenance for Veeam Backup & Recovery DB ?

Ever since I migrate the SQL DB from the builtin express edition to the stand alone SQL Server same with VeeamONE, there is no SQL DB maintenance task to optimize it.

Thanks in advance.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Re: SQL Server Database maintenance for VBR steps

Post by PTide »

Hi,

There will be a maintenance job in VBR v9. Do you experience any particular issues with your database now? Please clarify.

Thank you.
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Hi Pavel,

No I don't feel anything :-)
but in my other SQL Server DB for let say Symantec Enterprise Vault, there is a custom job created by my DBA according to Symantec Technote article to do the suggested maintenance.

So in this case I wonder if Veeam have some tips in how to mainteain the SQL DB in shape.
Note: I'm about to migrate this SQL DB to another SQL Server box so might as well put some maintenance task after it is deployed.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 728 times

Post by PTide »

We do not have such guidelines. Veeam database contains only configuration tables for your backup jobs and not the actual backup files, so almost nothing to optimize.

I think that I've seen some tech notes from Veritas on that topic too. Currently the only form of maintenance that is available is configuration backup. In v9 there will be a maintenance job to cover the reorganization/rebuild of the indexes on tables, database statistics updates, and a few more things.

Thank you.