Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eitc_hl
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam B&R NIC aggregation

Post by eitc_hl »

Dear all,

I have an issue I am not quite sure the best way on how to resolve, I have inherited an infrastructure that has a Vmware and iSCSI network, the iSCSI network is split into 2 x VLAN's and subnets. The Veeam B&R server currently has 1 x 1GB NIC connected with an IP address on each VLAN and is patched in accordingly.

I also have an iSCSI backup target connected to the Veeam B&R server which again has 2 x NIC's with an IP address on each VLAN and subnet.

I have configured direct SAN access which appears to be working, however I can see from the network utilisation that it is only using one of the VLAN nic's and not both at the same time, and I guess why wouldn't it as its not being told or teamed in any way to aggregate the bandwidth of the second NIC.

However, I cannot work out in my head on how to get this to work in the way I want it to, as throughput is limited to 1 x 1GB NIC and I need to double this if possible. I was thinking about teaming the server NIC on to one of the VLAN subnets, however this would only work if the iSCSI storage target also supported teaming, which it does not.

So, given the scenario, is there any way to make this work via Veeam B&R and the initiator software in any way at all?

Thanks in advance
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam B&R NIC aggregation

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you considered using Windows MPIO? Also what are the bottlenecks in your jobs?

Thank you.
eitc_hl
Influencer

Post by eitc_hl »

Thanks I will have a look at MPIO first as this is what was missing. Bottleneck at source was mentioned, but this will require MPIO configuring and should hopefully resolve the issue.
eitc_hl
Influencer

Post by eitc_hl »

OK, I have sorted out MPIO for the iSCSI backup storage using MS MPIO, however a little unsure on how to resolve this for the HP P2000 storage where the VM's reside. Do you know if this has been discussed before? Do I need to use Hp's software?

Thanks
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Please take a look at the article written by our Evangelist. Also there are plenty of MS and HP guidelines out there, please do some search and, if any questions arise, feel free to ask.

Thank you.