Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ralftar
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Update VM reference in backup job

Post by ralftar »

Having a VM on an ESXI host. Then deleting the VM from the host and recreated it with a different set of hardware settings (i.e. shrinking the hard drive capacity through VmWare Converter).

The new VM is then running fine on the host with the same name as the old one.

However, the backup jobs with the VM in concern are failing with the error "Task failed Error: The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created". I suspect this is due to a change in the VM's Veeam reference which is not just the name, but also a unique ID or similar.

Is there a way to replace the old reference with the new VM in all corresponding backup job? Or do I have to edit each backup job and remove and re-add the VM?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Update VM reference in backup job

Post by foggy »

You can either re-add the VM in all jobs it is currently added (will require full read of VM data during the next job run) or contact support and ask them to match the VM ID in the database. Thanks.
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Post by rreed »

Feature request/"fix," can we have functionality in Veeam to say, "Hey this VM is actually the old one in the backup job, please pick up where you left off." please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I would not say that there is 100% reliable way to do so after VM identifier change. Support team has more or less similar tool, but is applicable to certain scenarios (VMs being migrated between vCenter servers). Moreover, it's being used under close supervision of responsible support engineer to avoid undesirable circumstances. Thanks.