Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gerry Locke

HP Data Protector

Post by Dr.Gerry »

Sorry for the misleading title of this post, but it does have some relevance.

We are currently evaluating Veeam Backup and Replication. Currently we are using HP Data Protector for our backups, but it has proven itself to be a bit of a pain and we are looking to modernise our backups, hence the trial of Veeam. I have taken some of our Data Protector backups and am running them in Veeam, but I have a couple of concerns/questions :

1) We have a HP MSL4048 tape drive attached to a server that is currently acting as our Media Agent for Data Protector. Can I point Veeam at that same server so that it can access the tape drive attached to the server, or is that likely to cause problems with Data Protector (obviously I would not have Veeam trying to write to the tape drive at the same time as Data Protector)? I am just a bit concerned that if Veeam has to install any components onto the server with the tape drive they may interfere with Data Protector. Sorry - I know this probably sounds like it should be a question for HP.....but getting a straight answer from them can be a bit of a pain at times!

2) I have taken the jobs that Veeam is now running out of the daily Data Protector backup list. What happens when our 30 day Veeam trial expires if we haven't purchased a license? Will the backups taken by Veeam still be accessible? Will the free version be able to read the backup files, or will they be effectively lost? I am desperately hoping my boss will approve and purchase a Veeam license before our trial is up, but I work in local government, and the wheels turn VERY slowly.....so there's a good chance that Veeam will expire before we purchase a license.

Also......we still have 2 or 3 physical servers in our environment, and will probably do so for quite a while. How do people using Veeam handle physical servers? Maintaining 2 separate backup software suites seems like a bit of a pain, but obviously the physical servers need to be backed up as well.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: HP Data Protector

Post by veremin »

Can I point Veeam at that same server so that it can access the tape drive attached to the server, or is that likely to cause problems with Data Protector?
Problems are expected, as one software or the other will lock the device to itself.
Will the backups taken by Veeam still be accessible?
Correct.
How do people using Veeam handle physical servers?
Veeam Endpoint Backup Free.

Thanks.
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gerry Locke

Post by Dr.Gerry »

Thanks for that.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome.

And don't forget that you can select existing backup repository as a destination for Endpoint backups. This way, you will have a single pain of glass, being able to monitor activity of both solutions trough one backup server.

Thanks.