Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
markharford
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mark Harford

Veeam + 3rd-party backup clashing

Post by markharford »

We have a situation here where Veeam is used to replicate servers to another host during the day and a 3rd-party product is used to backup offsite overnight.

What I am finding is that Veeam changes a particular registry key during replication:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist  REG_SZ "\REGISTRY\MACHINE\BCD00000000"
becomes

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist  REG_SZ "\REGISTRY\MACHINE\BCD00000001"
This unfortunately causes the 3rd-party backup to fail unless the reg key is written back to the original setting.

Has anyone else had this issue and do we know why it happens?

I am attempting to work around it with a post job batch file which contains the following:

reg delete \\dc1\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist /v "\REGISTRY\MACHINE\BCD00000001" /f
reg add \\dc1\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\hivelist /v "\REGISTRY\MACHINE\BCD00000000" /t REG_SZ /d "\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Boot\BCD" /f
this works if I run it from an elevated command prompt but unfortunately fails if run as part of the veeam job (or from a non-elevated command prompt on the VM being replicated):

[04.11.2015 13:11:00] <01> Info     Running post-job script
[04.11.2015 13:11:00] <01> Info     Executing custom command 'C:\Source\hivelist_change.bat', arguments ''
[04.11.2015 13:11:00] <01> Warning  Post-job script terminated with exit code 1
Any suggestions welcome as to how I can fix this or if there is an alternate solution.

Thanks

Mark
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Veeam + 3rd-party backup clashing

Post by alanbolte »

Mark,

Please open a support case and ask whether the solution from case 00463461 is applicable here. Depending on your particular circumstances (especially what version of Veeam you're running) a hotfix may be available. The case may need escalation because it's not a well-documented fix.
markharford
Influencer

Post by markharford » 1 person likes this post

Thanks,
I have opened it under case 01100706.
markharford
Influencer

Post by markharford » 1 person likes this post

A quick update for anyone with a similar issues; I was sent a hotfix for this involving some updated DLLs and a reg key which has worked.
CiceroX
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by CiceroX »

Hi. I actually have the same issue on my servers even in the year 2019. I would have hoped this problem was fixed.
The Veeam software i use is the free endpoint agent in combination with carbonite backup.
If someone could please send me that kind of hotfix? That would be great!

Thanks
Christian

PS: Regarding case 01100706
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Christian, please contact technical support directly to confirm the issue. If the hotfix is available for your particular version of the product, you will be provided with the required files and instructions. Thanks!