Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Migrate B&R server - documentation

Post by readie »

Just yesterday I migrated my B&R server to a new W2012 R2 (so I can deal with deduped windows file restore) following roughly the KB1889. However, this documentation lacks two vital steps (one of which I managed to struggle through).
1. In order to 'Perform configuration backup restore' (step 4) on the 'new' server, it cannot 'see' the old server unless you first add the old server to the new server infrastructure. (I managed to do this, as I worked out that it was the only way).
2. To my cost, I have also discovered that I should have moved the 'replica metadata' which doesn't seem to come across with the configuration (OK I realise that the metadata COULD be stored anywhere, but I guess many, like me, just went for the easy option of 'store it on the B&R server'). This means that my replication jobs of last night are still running, and likely to be running well into the day, possibly over 24 hours, as they are busy 'calculating digests' afresh.
I don't want to risk stopping the jobs and move the metadata (now I've found where it is).

Would have been good to mention this somewhere in KB1889 please. And/or is there a better place to store the replica metadata? (We are all LAN, no off-site WAN moves.)
Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Migrate B&R server - documentation

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Bob,
Thanks for the feedback first of all.
1) To perform the backup configuration restore you just need to pick the configuration backup file. In your case it was in the default(old) backup repository. In practice you don`t need to add the old repository to a new console, you just need the configuration backup file.
2) Replication metadata migration is not essential. According to the best practices, repository for storing replica metadata should be located closer to the source storage. Lots of users don`t need to migrate it when migrating to a new VBR server.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Post by readie »

Thanks for response. So how would I BROWSE for the file on the old B&R server, as the new server cannot see repositories - it is empty at this stage? Just as a Windows Fileshare?
. . and while replica metadata is not essential, it has taken my setup over 36 hours to 'calculate disk digests', which has upset last night's jobs . . . I am still manually recovering.
Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Bob,
You can have a configuration backup file everywhere even on USB drive, not all the customers backup to the default repository. It looks pretty straightforward that you need to provide the file and the way to provide it is to connect to its device. You also wrote that you managed to restore it with no issues. However, if you believe we need to make it more clear, we will think about possible improvements.
Thanks!