Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Herve27h
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Hervé

Automaticaly backup for nomade PC with USB Hard Drive

Post by Herve27h »

Hi,
we want to use Endpoint backup on nomade PC but with information about backup in the Veeam console.
For this i create a veeam repository on the usb disk connected to the PC.
That's Ok and the backup is Ok
But i want to use the solution about "execute a save when i connect the USB disk. This is NOK because this option don't started the backup when USB Drive is connected but when PC can see the Veeam server. If Usb disk is not connected, we obtain an error. That is not very good

Do you have an idea for use this solution with start a backup with USB hard drive connection ?
Beforehand thank you,
Regards,
Hervé
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Automaticaly backup for nomade PC with USB Hard Drive

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

Do you have a scheduled time set in your backup options as well as the checkbox for backing up when target is connected? Also what is the setting for how long between backups? If its set for 1 day it will not backup more than once in a single day to any target. Please let us know the configuration settings.

Thanks!
VMCE v9
Herve27h
Novice

Post by Herve27h »

Hi JaxIsland7575,

Thank you for your interest :).
My configuration is only select "when backup target is connected". No scheduling because if connexion or usb drive is not present we obtain an error.
I want to let the user make his backup when he wants but with informations in web interface of Veeam at Customer.
Regards,
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

So what have you configured as the backup destination, is it a USB drive or a Veeam repository? I apologize for the many questions I am just a bit confused on my end.

Thanks!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Indeed we need to clarify, either you are using the Rotated Media feature at the Veeam B&R or you just backing up to the locally connected USB drive? Thanks
Herve27h
Novice

Post by Herve27h »

Hi,
I propose to reset my case.
we want to used Endpoint backup on laptop outside the society site and we want to see when user doing a backup (on veeam console site of the society). For user on laptop we want to say : connect your Usb Hard drive and the backup start automaticaly.
I tested :
1°) Used a local USB drive without repository : Backup is Ok but we don't get information about backup on site (in veeam interface on site).
2°) Used a local Usb Drive and create a repository on this USB hard drive connected on the laptop : Backup is Ok we get information in the society interface is Ok but we can't use a solution for abtain automaticaly backup start when we connect an USB hard drive.
In backup configuration (choose when you want backup job to be started automaticaly) if i select "When Backup target is connected, backup is started when laptop can connect to veeam server and if USB drive is not connected we obtain an error (that is not very good). Laptop can obtain connection to veeam server without usb drive is connected (example for mails or files from society servers). We use an VPN connexion.
My question is : how i can configure backup for have :
information about backup in veeam console (or another type of information in society)
backup start automaticaly when we connect the usb hard drive
backup on local usb drive connected to laptop
Beforehand thank you for your help
Hervé
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hervé,

So from what I understood you would like to track the Endpoint’s activity inside the VBR Console therefore you created a VBR repository on a local USB, right?

Option 1 (start a backup from task scheduler):

A. Define the start trigger for a custom script “when the said USB device being connected” (should be possible to track via windows event log).
B. Add a script to windows task scheduler to start when event A happens.
C. Set backup no more often than safety trigger to 1 day or longer (to avoid your backup won’t be triggered by USB drive being re connected multiple times)

Option 2 (re connect the network):

A. Set “When backup target is connected” backup trigger in the Endpoint’s schedule
B. Create a script to power on/off your network adapter or to connect/disconnect to the LAN where your VBR resides – it will force backup trigger to start a backup job

Hope it make sense.
Herve27h
Novice

Post by Herve27h »

Hi Dima,
Thank you for your answer.

Your solution with option 2 isn't possible because we mount wan coonexion for all communication and not only for backup.

We had test your solution 1 but we can't find in Windows event the connexion about an hard Usb drive.
Do you have a solution for this detection ?
for backup we do an script but the option /backup don't uses the configuration in endpointbackup.
Do you have a script for backup with option ?

beforehand thank you,
Hervé
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Herve27h
Novice

Post by Herve27h »

i Dima,
Thank you for your answer,
With your solution, we can't obtain an event for connexion about the USB Hard drive only with an USB Key.
Do you have an another solution for detect connexion of the USB Hard Drive?
Beforehand thank you,,
Hervé
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

I’ll discuss your case with the team and try to find a possible workaround. Meanwhile please elaborate what is the OS we are talking about? Thanks!
Herve27h
Novice

Post by Herve27h »

Hi Dima,
We have OS 7 , 8 and 8.1.
Beforehand, Thank you for your help.
Best regards, Hervé
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Hervé,

Sorry for delay. For the said OS USB events remain the same. Can you elaborate what’s wrong with the event ids proposed in the blog post above? Do you have the script sample that is not working? Thanks.