Management reporting and documentation
Dietervdb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Dieter Van den Broeke

Post by Dietervdb »

I have the following situation:

I got one virtual server with Veeam One Monitor and another virtual server with an MSSQL database where the data of Veeam is saved to. On 26 october we needed to install some windows updates on this MSSQL server and also needed to restart 5 (short) times this machine.

Now when we take an uptime report from previous month (from 1 to 31 October) with Veeam One Reporter, we see all vm's we have monitored have an up time around 99,82% and 99,91%. If I take a log from 1 October to 25 October all vm's have 100%, also from 27 October to 31 October all vm's have 100%.

It seems while installing updates an restarting this MSSQL server that a bunch of Veeam monitor data has been lost.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: 01101254

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If Veeam ONE server was not collecting any data, then the report will not be able to determine if VMs were up and running or not. As an enhancement to this report, we might add additional column to the table highlighting the time when Veeam ONE server was not collecting any data. What are you thoughts on this? Also what did our support engineer say after looking into the database?
Dietervdb
Influencer

Post by Dietervdb »

The engineer thinks the MSSQL database server was during one or more restarts for longer time down (longer than 5 minutes). But I am sure the server was not down more than 3 minutes each time. I will add that additional column, so I am safe for such problems in the future. Do you know if there is an method to know what was precisely happening on that 26 Oktober?

Also I don't see these gap on Veeam One Monitor only in Veeam One Reporter.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have screenshots from Monitor Client and one of the performance reports that has charts?

On a side note, our support engineer should be able to detect how much time Veeam ONE service was down. Let me consult with the dev team on how to do that and I will post back.
Dietervdb
Influencer

Post by Dietervdb »

Here is the a Veeam One Reporter screenshots, look at the high peaks.

I have now some more information. I use HP Data Protector for backing up the MSSQL server machine behind the Veeam One Monitor machine. I do a transactional backup every hour and every 24 hours I do a full backup.
That 26 October, I see my Data Protector was crashed while performing a transactional backup. All other transactional backup that were scheduled where not executed without any error message.
We restarted the Data Protector server the after (27 October) and saw the transactional backups were OK.

Should it be possible that Data Protector crashes on such manner that it corrupts (data loss) the database that is is being backed up?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on how Data Protector behaves with transaction logs and databases, but if there is a correlation between failed jobs and "wrong" data in the database, then it could be a reason indeed. Is SQL Server hosting Veeam ONE's database installed in a virtual machine?
Dietervdb
Influencer

Post by Dietervdb »

Sorry for the late rely. The SQL server is indeed installed on a separate virtual machine.

This problem is cleared out, you may close this case.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for the update, good to know that you're up and running now.

If it is a VM, then you can evaluate a possibility of using Veeam B&R to back up your SQL Server. With Veeam you can not only do application-aware image processing for SQL Server, but also back up transaction logs via dedicated SQL backup job.