Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jhassig
Lurker
Liked: never

Manually brought up Replica due to emergency

Post by jhassig »

Hi All,

Recently had to bring up a replica in an emergency where we were not able to utilize the B&R console. We had to manually power off the primary server (ServerA) and manually power on the replica (ServerB).

We're going to need to bring this back to the primary datacenter at some point so I am looking for some good tips/tricks to accomplish this.

My first brainstorm brought me to the following plan which I believe should theoretically work:

*Remove ServerA from disk in the primary datacenter
*Set up a replication job from secondary datacenter to replicate ServerB to the primary datacenter
* Remove the Replica suffix from the replication job
*Once ServerB is replicated to the primary datacenter, perform a permanent failover
*Remove ServerB from disk in the primary datacenter (or can I just reverse replication here?)
*Set up a new job to replicate ServerA from the primary datacenter to the secondary

This should get us back to square one where ServerA in primary DC is replicating as ServerB in the secondary DC - though there is a lot of manual legwork here.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Manually brought up Replica due to emergency

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

Your plan looks good to me, but there is no need to remove server B after permanent failover operation to the primary datacenter. I would recommend to create a new replication job, map it to existing server B in secondary datacenter and run the replication job.

Thanks!