Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Phorward
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Hans Hedman

Problems with Scale-Out File Server

Post by Phorward »

We have our VM's stored on SMB3 Cluster Shared Volumes handled by a two node Scale-Out File Server cluster. A week ago the backups stopped working with the following error:
Unable to create snapshot (Fileshare Provider) (mode: Veeam application-aware processing). Details: Failed to add volume [\\SOFS001\WORKLOAD01\] to the VSS snapshot set
Another shadow copy creation is already in progress. Wait a few moments and try again.
--tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set.
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.

So I thought I'd move the role and volume to the other node. The move failed and the original owner refused to pick up the disk again. Since we lost our storage all VM's died of course. I switched to Server Manager and there the Virtual Disk was detached and when I tried to attach it then it failed we the error message "Access denied".

I tried removing the CSV from the SOFS cluster and adding it again but that failed. In the end we had to destroy the cluster to be able to attach the Virtual Disk and then set up the cluster again.

While our environment was down we got all kinds of "expert advice". One advice is that we should absolutely not have any third party software installed on the SOFS nodes. I have added the cluster as a SMB3 cluster under Backup Infrastructure in Veeam B&R and as a part of that process Veeam software gets installed. This is according to the User Guide.
My primary question now is: Is there a way to set up Veeam B&R without installing agent software on the SOFS nodes?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Problems with Scale-Out File Server

Post by foggy »

Without installing Veeam B&R components on SOFS nodes Veeam B&R will not be able to track changes. I'd suggest to open a case for a deeper investigation, since the original issue should not be related to Veeam B&R components.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange »

If you have not done so, check my list of all the hotfixes that are out there and get your Hyper-V and SOFS clusters up to date, along with firmware and drivers.
http://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper ... 31349.html

Did you engage Microsoft support on the issue? It's hard to guess what the cause might have been, but I doubt that it was Veeam. I've had my share of Hyper-V issues and they've always either been a bug fixed with a hotfix or an actual hardware issue.
Phorward
Influencer

Post by Phorward »

nmdange wrote:If you have not done so, check my list of all the hotfixes that are out there and get your Hyper-V and SOFS clusters up to date, along with firmware and drivers.
http://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper ... 31349.html
Will do. Thanks!
nmdange wrote:Did you engage Microsoft support on the issue? It's hard to guess what the cause might have been, but I doubt that it was Veeam. I've had my share of Hyper-V issues and they've always either been a bug fixed with a hotfix or an actual hardware issue.
Yes we did. They wasn't much help though. They didn't escalate fast enough in my opinion. When our whole environment had been down for 1½ days we managed to fix it ourselves. I will collect logs and send them. Hopefully they will be able to see what went wrong.
We are using Dell switches that I think might be part of the problem. We will have to drill in to that.
foggy wrote:Without installing Veeam B&R components on SOFS nodes Veeam B&R will not be able to track changes. I'd suggest to open a case for a deeper investigation, since the original issue should not be related to Veeam B&R components.
Thanks, that makes sense.
niknaks456
Novice
Full Name: NIKNAKS

Post by niknaks456 »

we have the same problem, applied hotfixes galore and still have the same issues

can you tell me how you manged to fix your issue?
Phorward
Influencer

Post by Phorward »

niknaks456 wrote:can you tell me how you manged to fix your issue?
Phorward wrote:In the end we had to destroy the cluster to be able to attach the Virtual Disk and then set up the cluster again.