Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Lord-Data
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael James Saunders

EMC Support for Veeam 9: ScaleIO?

Post by Lord-Data »

Has there been any official or unofficial indication if the EMC SAN support being added in Veeam 9 will include ScaleIO? I know its' not a "physical" SAN per-se, but I'd be curious to know if it will have any specific/direct support in the upcoming release.

Thanks,
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: EMC Support for Veeam 9: ScaleIO?

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Michael,
EMC support in v9 is for storage snapshots of VNX and VNXe.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
robjohnston
Veeam Software
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Rob Johnston

Re: EMC Support for Veeam 9: ScaleIO?

Post by robjohnston » 1 person likes this post

Hi everyone, I thought I would mention it is important to note, that while we cannot integrate with ScaleIO Snaps, Veeam does fully support ScaleIO from a traditional backup and also replication standpoint for our full feature set. We do have additional integration to storage snapshot's on VNX & VNX(e) as well as Netapp FAS, Nimble, HPE etc which allows things like backup from Storage Snapshots. Veeam works extremely well across the EMC Storage portfolio especially on XtremeIO (Which I was able to perform an Instant V Recovery boot in about 17 Seconds, 15 of which was the Vsphere NFS Mount process). You will still get an extremely feature rich backup, recovery and replication deployment using Veeam across EMC, and also other storage arrays on the VMware HCL.

Veeam is an extremely nice fit for environments with Hyper-Converged infrastructures running Vmware & Hyper-V, especially with sites with multiple Virtualisation storage, as we can provide the Sync and Async replication for VMs to enable a robust replication strategy, which would normally be unavailable. Many environments that have deployed Hyper-Converged environments in my patch, usually never deploy in a big bang approach, so Veeam can really help breach the availability gap in these instances, and allow the sites to maintain their existing replication strategies.