Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fdssdfdsf
Novice
Liked: never

Download speed insanely low

Post by fdssdfdsf »

Both standard and alternative download start at some 10s of Kb/s then dropping to << 5 Kb/s. Download manager (or browser) tell me it will take about 1 day or two to download the 200 MB......

I think it is not intended to be that slow, is it?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Download speed insanely low

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know – I’ll get in touch with the web team. Meanwhile use the link I’ve sent to your forum’s inbox.
fdssdfdsf
Novice

Post by fdssdfdsf »

Thanks. This download works. I'm curious to test this tool. so far I was not able to find a really good backup tool.
Interestingly a lot of sync tools can detect that files were moved - but I did not find a single backup tool (incremental) that is able to recognize this.
fdssdfdsf
Novice

Post by fdssdfdsf »

Wow, that is disappointing.

I just did 4 Backups of the same folder without any changes.

First run: "Error: bad allocation" (I have no idea what that error means?!)
Every run has an overhead of about 30 MB - with a dataset of ~ 110 MB. (first run 140 MB, other runs 30 MB).
The 30 MB files can be compressed to about 10 kb by 7zip - why is this metadata not compressed by Endpoint Backup itself?!

Also VEB Free does not detect renamed or moved files or folders and the memory footprint peaks at 800 MB. That is probably the reason for the "bad allocation" error - My system ran out of memory.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Lack of memory on the backed up machine could be a reason for this "error: bad allocation" message.
fdssdfdsf wrote:Also VEB Free does not detect renamed or moved files or folders and the memory footprint peaks at 800 MB.
Depending on the backup mode, VEB will use different engine for changes files. If you're using files/folders backup mode, then file modification date will be used to detect changed blocks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

fdssdfdsf wrote:memory footprint peaks at 800 MB
This is not normal - can you please share a Task Manager screenshot to see which process specifically consumes this much RAM?
fdssdfdsf
Novice

Post by fdssdfdsf »

@Vitaliy:
I was not writing about changing files, but moving/renaming them. I did not test whether changed files cause a new full-copy of the file or a patch.
@Gostlev:
The peak will be hard to screenshot, as it does not last for long in my case. Furthermore the GUI cannot connect to the service right now.
I tried restarting the service, but no success. I cannot reboot right now because of other activities. I will have a look at this later.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

. I did not test whether changed files cause a new full-copy of the file or a patch.
First backup is a full and all next are incrementals.
The peak will be hard to screenshot, as it does not last for long in my case
Can you please clarify what is your OS and what are the hardware specification of the said device?
fdssdfdsf
Novice

Post by fdssdfdsf »

Yes, the next are incrementals. but "incremental" has a wide range.
If I move /Folder1/File1 to /Folder2/File1 or rename it to /Folder1/File2, a good backup Tool should be able to recognize this and only store "file x is now File y" instead of "file x was deleted, here is the new file y" with a full new copy of file y.

Win 7 SP1 x64, C2Duo P8600, 4GB RAM
fdssdfdsf
Novice

Post by fdssdfdsf »

This time it was "just" 400MB:

90 MB Tray
140 MB Manager
85 MV SQL Server
75 MB Service
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks!
recognize this and only store "file x is now File y" instead of "file x was deleted
It will but after the incremental backup is merged into full.
This time it was "just" 400MB
Looks good for me. Due the backup throttling being enabled by default, it can actually take all available resource in case they are idle. Once you start doing something resource consumption should go down.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

fdssdfdsf wrote:This time it was "just" 400MB:

90 MB Tray
140 MB Manager
85 MV SQL Server
75 MB Service
Same as my Firefox right now with just a few tabs open ;)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

fdssdfdsf wrote:a good backup Tool should be able to recognize this and only store "file x is now File y" instead of "file x was deleted, here is the new file y" with a full new copy of file y.
File system (NTFS) treats these actions as creating new data, so when you're running, for example, block level backup, these changes/blocks will be treated as new ones.