Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Planning first Veeam backups

Post by pshute »

We're new to Veeam, having used Backup Exec till now, and I'm trying to come to grips with all the ways of backing up our VMs.

Previously our aim was to get the data from each server onto a tape each night, with a tape going offsite once a week. We had tape backups available for each day of the last 4 weeks, and one from every 4 weeks before that. With the disk and tape approach of Veeam, I'm not sure what's the best way to do this.

I'm thinking I should do an active full to disk once a week, and incrementals daily, with a retention time as high as the disk size will allow. I'm not yet sure how many restore points I can fit on our repository, as the VMs are still on another host, and I've no idea how much compression and deduplication we'll achieve. And I'll backup an active full and 7 days of incrementals to tape once a week if they'll fit.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Planning first Veeam backups

Post by foggy »

Sounds reasonable, just keep in mind that you might not need so frequent active fulls but use synthetic fulls instead at least some of them. Also please note that GFS for tape backups will be available in v9.

And this thread will help in required space calculation.