Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ndebaggis
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Multiple replication job configurations mapped to same VM

Post by ndebaggis »

Simple scenario: site A, VM1, is replicated to site B, VM1_replica via replication job 1. Replication job 1 is configured for network remapping so VM1_replica can be run in a SureBackup job for isolated DR testing purposes. The question is, can we have multiple replication job settings (Replication job 1A?) for VM1_replica such that VM1_replica can be run with either "network remapping", "re-IP", or straight-up same network/same IP? I'd like to avoid having to create a second duplicate VM1_replica2 if possible.

The point of this is to have the ability for isolated DR testing via SureBackup as well as the option for performing a true DR failover/failback using the same replica.

Thank you
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Multiple replication job configurations mapped to same V

Post by Shestakov »

Hello!
ndebaggis wrote:The question is, can we have multiple replication job settings (Replication job 1A?) for VM1_replica such that VM1_replica can be run with either "network remapping", "re-IP", or straight-up same network/same IP? I'd like to avoid having to create a second duplicate VM1_replica2 if possible.
Do you mean creation of another replication VM on the site B? You can set another job and of the jobs do not overlap, you will have no issues.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

During SureBackup acitivity or more precisely SureReplica (in your case), the VMs are tested inside the isolated environment, so, I'm not getting the idea of replicating the same VM twice (one for SureReplica, one for other DR operations).

Even if it was possible, running test against one copy wouldn't necessarily mean that the second one is recoverable.

Thanks.
ndebaggis
Novice

Post by ndebaggis »

I'd like to have a single replica VM where I can either:

1. Use SureReplica to bring the VM up in the remapped isolated virtual network for disaster recovery testing by employees (based on the NAT'ed IP of virtual lab appliance).
2. Perform a true manual failover/failback of the replica where the replica is re-IP'ed to the DR site's IP range running on the production VM Network.

In both cases I'm talking about the same replica VM but having different network-remapping and re-IP job settings depending on which of the two scenarios we're running.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Both options are possible. First one can be achieved via SureReplica, the second - via planned failover. Thanks.
ndebaggis
Novice

Post by ndebaggis »

Thank you, I will take a look at planned failover.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

More information regarding can be found here; might be worth taking a look. Thanks.