Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brad Morris

V9 question

Post by Brad.Morris »

Not sure if too early to ask this. But I need to rebuild my V8 B&R server from Windows 2012 to Windows 2012 R2. But now that V9 is on the horizon, I was wondering if it would be possible to install V9, then just import a backup from my V8 server and it will upgrade everything to V9? Or do I have to do a in place upgrade from V8 to V9?

Thanks,
Brad.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V9 question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In-place upgrade is always preferred, cause in this case you will not need to re-enter all credentials for AAIP and connections to the virtual infrastructure. Also keep in mind that job mapping might be required (depending on how you would transfer all the data).

If you want to rebuild your backup server, just create a configuration dump backup and then use it with a new installation. Alternatively, you can keep your existing database and then point Veeam B&R v9 installation wizard to this database. Thanks!
Pat490
Expert
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: Patrick

Post by Pat490 »

by configuration dump backup you mean the regular configuration backup which I can schedule under Configuration Backup Settings in main menue?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, Veeam B&R configuration backup is meant here.
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast

Post by Brad.Morris »

Vitaliy S. wrote:In-place upgrade is always preferred, cause in this case you will not need to re-enter all credentials for AAIP and connections to the virtual infrastructure. Also keep in mind that job mapping might be required (depending on how you would transfer all the data).

If you want to rebuild your backup server, just create a configuration dump backup and then use it with a new installation. Alternatively, you can keep your existing database and then point Veeam B&R v9 installation wizard to this database. Thanks!
Sorry, I am still not sure what you mean here? Can I just build a new V9 server and import the V8 configuration backup?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, you can backup v8 configuration, upgrade the server (both Windows and Veeam B&R) or rebuild it from scratch and install v9, then import v8 configuration.
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast

Post by Brad.Morris »

Great. Thanks for that. That will help heaps. Looking forward to V9..