Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

EndpointBackup killing my tape job?

Post by ekisner »

So, the past while I've been running into a scheduling issue between my endpoint backups and my tape backups. Namely, while I identify issues, I have the tape job disabled and I'm just manually running it daily (a weekly job with incrementals). This has caused overlap with my endpoint backups.

On one hand I can understand the behaviour, since the endpoint backup (as far as I know) is a forever-incremental, but on the other... tape backups of all VMs are way more high priority than an a single endpoint backup. At least in our environment.

Specifically, I'm referring to the following error:
Error: Stopped by job 'Backup Job FAKE-COMPUTER-NAME' (EndpointBackup)

Is there any way to override this so that my tape job will continue running and if needed simply skip the endpoint backup?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: EndpointBackup killing my tape job?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Erik,

Can you clarify was the said Endpoint's job selected as one of the sources for backup to tape job? Thanks
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Yes, all of our backups go to tape.

The tape job targets the repository, specifically. I don't use endpoint backup for desktops (desktops are easy enough to replace), but for physical servers.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

So you are backing up VMs and physical Endpoint backups within one tape job, right? Might be a good idea to spread the source files between two tape jobs that would also ensure your VM to tape backups are not affected by the physical ones?
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

That would reduce the impact, yes. If I must do that, I will. Probably by moving the endpoint backups to a new repository, then setting up two new tape jobs (GFS style) to back up that repository.

I would inquire though as to why the behaviour is not consistent. If a VM backup is running, the tape job simply skips it and carries on to the next item in the list. If an endpoint job is running, it errors out.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I think that’s happening because ‘Wait for the linked backup jobs’ option is misbehaving in the existing version ( it should wait for all the source jobs but it does wait only for the first one in the list). This behavior is corrected in the upcoming version but for now I’d vote for splitting the physical backups and VM backups between two repositories and as a result splitting the tape backups into two separate jobs.
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner » 1 person likes this post

Well, if a fix is in the works with the upcoming version, that's perfectly good for me. Thank you Dmitry, both for advising of the upcoming fix and for providing a workaround. Appreciate it :)